Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Labor Day weekend and then some

Labor Day Weekend - It's usually a long weekend that seems to pass by way too quickly.  For GFJ and I, it seemed to be just the right length for the two of us - Enough time for us to enjoy being together, and not enough time for us to get in the way of each other's routine.

- - - - - -

GFJ's one employee was scheduled to take the last two weeks of August off for vacation.  Although she didn't go away, she was unavailable for work.  This meant that GFJ had to tend the office all by herself and not do any "outside the office work" that she normally takes care of.  This also meant that she wouldn't be home until 6ish, and that I could take my time driving up on Friday.  Since I didn't get moving until 4 pm on Friday, I hit a lot of the expected traffic jams.  However, I bypassed as many jams as I hit, because I took the side roads to GFJ's place and enjoyed driving on the roads less traveled. 

I made it to GFJ's place before she did, as she shopped for food to cook for dinner on her way home. Luckily, there was enough light left in the day for her to cook steaks on the grill, and we had a nice dinner before going to bed early.

- - - - - -            - - - - - -            - - - - - -

Saturday came, and it was a perfect day to go outside.  So we drove to the Catskill-Hudson Skywalk (near the Thomas Cole house) and walked across the Rip Van Winkle Bridge. I felt very uncomfortable walking on the bridge, and I feel it was a subconscious fear of heights getting to me.  Instead of going to the nearby New York restaurant, we trekked to Saugerties to eat at the Village Diner.

The Village Diner is one of those places that survives because of its location.  It is in an ADA compliant building across the street from a low income senior citizens home.  The prices on the menu reflect the needs of its clientele, with a special senior menu that is served all evening.  (Most senior menus are "early bird specials" geared to get the old folk in and out before the more profitable customers arrive.)  While enjoying our mean, a group of young people arrived, and one person stood out.  GFJ couldn't identify the gender of this person for certain.  But I feel that this person is a M2F transgender woman, based on the clothes she was wearing, her voice, her size, and the feint outline of a bra showing under her shirt.  If I'm right, it's nice to know that there are people of her age who will befriend a transgender or gender-fluid teenager. 

When we were done with dinner, GFJ and I went to Walmart to buy a new TV.  She was getting tired of watching TV in her den on a monitor smaller than the screen I use on the computer I use to write my blog's entries.  Although there were 3 TV's in her price and size range, I steered her away from the Walmart house brand (Onn) and towards another "no name" brand TV which included a built in Roku device.  About $100 later, we left with a new TV, and had it set up for use an hour after that.  GFJ was very happy!

- - - - - -            - - - - - -            - - - - - -

The next day, Sunday, was little different than the day before, save that there were more clouds in the sky.  We had been thinking about going to Opus 40 for a while, and today seemed like the perfect opportunity to do so.  So it was up to the outskirts of Saugerties, and over to Opus 40.

Opus 40 is best described as a large scale work of masonry art.  It is built on the grounds of a former Bluestone quarry, and was put together without a single ounce of mortar.  Although the artist carved some of the works found on the site, the structure itself is the main work of art.  In its own way, it is a philosophical and artistic counterpart to British Columbia's Butchart Gardens, where a former quarry is a setting for horticultural arts.

When done at Opus 40, GFJ took care of some work, then it was off to dinner and back to her place to watch TV and rest.

- - - - - -            - - - - - -            - - - - - -

Labor Day came along with rain.  Neither of us wanted to do anything, so we stayed inside and watched movies on her new TV.  Not too much to say about the day, save that is was a lazy day in which we had nothing better to do than doing nothing.

Most of the day, we binge watched some documentaries on Netflix, and one held our attention - The Last Czar.  Although I knew the history of the Romanoffs, it was a learning experience for GFJ.  Next was a documentary on the Cambridge Analytica affair - The Great Hack.  GFJ was even less aware about what was going on in 2016 than many people. And I think that she had the inklings of getting worried having seen this documentary after seeing a mini series on Hitler, followed by another one on the Romanoffs.  History may not be repeating itself, but it is singing the same melody again....

- - - - - -            - - - - - -            - - - - - -

Tuesday was the beginning of GFJ's work week, and I left her around 1:30 pm.  Arriving home at 3:30 pm, I changed out of Mario Mode and changed into Marian Mode.  Then, I drove to New Jersey to visit one of my transgender friends, a woman recuperating from GCS (bottom surgery). 

CAP (as I'll call her here) is the "father" of two, a transwoman who has always known there was something different about her from her youth.  She married, telling her wife that she was a closet cross-dresser.  (That is a common story for many of us.)  The wife accepted that in the early days of their marriage.  Children came, the marriage ended, and CAP couldn't suppress her transgender nature any longer. 

Bottom surgery was performed in NYC last week, but CAP is recuperating in New Jersey for economic reasons. Since I was coming around dinner time, I asked if CAP wanted anything for dinner.  She had already taken care of that, but I could bring some dessert "if I must."  And that I did - with some Flan I picked up in Yonkers.

I arrived at CAP's hotel around 7:30, and we gabbed until 10:00 or so.  Hopefully, we'll get together again before she leaves for home.

No comments:

Post a Comment