Friday, October 12, 2018

Waking up to find a mess of normalcy

This is not my bedroom. But it feels like this today, as I have stuff all over the place in readiness for my cruise.  Last year, it was warm enough that I could wear my dresses on the cruise.  This year, I'll have to wear warmer weather garments - and I hate that.  At least, I don't have to buy much.  I just have to unpack it.

- - - - - -

When I got up this morning, I had a mess on my bed, a mess on my floor, and a mess to deal with.  And I had to find things amidst the mess. Last night, I couldn't find my denim jacket.  An unexpected late night email from GFJ reminded me that I might have placed it on the back of a dining room chair - and I found it there shortly after I got up.

Next, I had to go back to my packing list to figure out what I wanted to wear on the rest of my trip.  I had two sets of trousers with shirts, as well as tunics with leggings. But I wanted to be able to wear a dress or two at night, as there is something about looking pretty that I like when I'm out and about.

- - - - - -

Late in the afternoon, I decided to change my volunteer stint to tomorrow.  I wasn't in the mood to work there when I still needed to clean out my apartment and pack for the cruise. There were still too many things in the refrigerator to clean out, and I wanted to make a dent in things before I go on the cruise.  Of course, this presents a rare opportunity for me - cleaning the refrigerator.  With an empty icebox, cleanup is so much easier - and it's an opportunity not to be missed.

I took forever to get ready to go outside.  Out the door a little before 6:30 pm, I barely had enough time to eat before going to game night.  On the way down, I tried to reach the Cat Lady to no avail.  She was busy doing a small touch up paint job, filling in the gaps left when she removed old wall sconces in the bathroom with slightly smaller ones. And by the time she was ready to return my call, I would be at game night playing games. Then I chatted for a little while with GFJ, catching up on daily events.  I told her that I used a mirror to look at my back, and it was filled with the "spots" that Lili said looked so bad on my face.  I could only imagine what it would have been like had I wanted these things gone - the hurt to my wallet and to my back would seem never ending!

At game night, I had a good time, but lost both games I played. Even though I play for fun, I wish I was as good a game player as some of the people at the meetup. The host clued us into why the meetup was scotched the week before - it seems as if real life is getting in the way of playing games, and that they need about one week each month to take care of their needs.

- - - - - -

On the way home, it was "talk to Lili time."  Lili told me that she had dealt with the problems she had with her boyfriend earlier today. And she asked me if I wanted to go for a Mani-Pedi with her.  It would be nice to schedule this time with her. But I think I'm going to have a few last minute things I have to deal with on Friday and Saturday.

Before I reached home, it was time to visit the Stop and Shop to do a minor restocking of the larder. Out went the old eggs, in came the fresh eggs. Out with the old ice cream (last night), and in with the good ice cream (today).  There was no way I was going to refresh everything before going away. But I wanted to have some food available, so that I could make breakfast if I wanted to....

No comments:

Post a Comment