Thursday, May 17, 2018

A morning without the Cat Lady, and an Evening with Mel Brooks

Last year, Mel Brooks made an appearance at the Streicher Center in NYC and was a big hit. So when this 2060+ year old man (who doesn't look a day over 92) was scheduled to appear a second time, I jumped at the opportunity to see him reminisce about life. For the past several days, several things in my life have intersected with my decision to see this show with GFJ and have a Chinese meal beforehand.

- - - - - -

Over the weekend, Pat called to tell me that she got a ticket for this event and called me to ask for a ride into NYC.  Since I wasn't in the mood to clean out my car for a poorly thought out last minute request, I said "No", as we were taking the subway to the event. (This is true. Using the subway allows GFJ and I to go to Chinatown AND have a quick, cheap bite to eat beforehand.) The Cat Lady (TCL) also contacted me, and I ended up saying "Yes" to her request for me to bring her to her doctor for a morning appointment on the same day as Mel Brooks - only because she didn't have anyone else available to drive her from point "a" to point "b". Her transit plans had failed, and I was a distant "Plan 'c'" to be used "just in case."
Last night, TCL called me around 9 pm to tell me that I would not be needed, and I was relieved. So I was able to sleep late and catch up on my much needed rest.

Waking up around 9 am (late for most people, early for me), I caught up on the morning's affairs and proceeded to get ready for a day out as Mario.  And yet, I didn't bother running a couple of the errands that would have turned out better with me in Mario Mode.  Instead, I decided to surf the net a little before getting showered and dressed, and ready for GFJ's arrival.  The Cat Lady (TCL) emailed me, and let me know that the doctor liked how her eyelids were doing (yesterday's minor surgery was a success).  It was nice to get this message before leaving for the day, as I wouldn't be able to be in contact until tomorrow.

- - - - - -

GFJ arrived a little late, and we hoofed it into NYC via the subway system.  Parking near Ex-GF-M's house, we made it to the train and took it all the way to Brooklyn Bridge.  From there, we walked over to the Nom Wah Tea Parlor for some afternoon Dim Sum.  One word describes the food - YUM!  GFJ was impressed by the quality of the food in a place with absolutely no atmosphere.  She said that the "spare ribs" (which were more like tiny rib tips in a translucent glaze) were better than what we're used to at most Chinese restaurants. And then came the Soup Dumplings - YUM Again!!!!  GFJ was very glad that we went well out of our way to have a tasty late afternoon meal.

And then the problem started....

We walked over to the City Hall subway station, and decided to take the Broadway line to 5th and 59th, and walk up to 65th street to the Streicher Center.  Everything went fine for a few stops, and then our train got delayed due to the "Mysteriously Ill Passenger" on the train in front of us.  Sick passengers are always a risk to the trains involved in the delay, and it took us almost an hour to make a 20 minute trip.  Luckily, both of us had a seat for the ride. By the time we made it to the Streicher Center, they were filling up the last of the two rear rows, and we were seated at the exit.  (This would be an advantage later on, as we didn't have to wait to get out the door.)

The Streicher Center is a beautiful temple, and a place I'd want to look at more closely if I had the time and reason to do so.  The stained glass there is the equal to any found in a Christian church, and I can say that this quickly taken shot doesn't do the place justice.

Mel Brooks didn't disappoint us, save that his schedule only called for him to be on stage for an hour. I was a little tired for the first half of the show, but that's because GFJ and I ate well AND did a lot of walking before getting there. When the show ended, we were very glad to be in the back for the show, as we exited the place very quickly and made it to the subway in less than 10 minutes.

As usual, the subway ride back to the Bronx took forever. When we got out of the subway, I pointed out a few more things about Ex-GF-M's house as we passed by.  I was a little surprised to find that her neighbors are parking in her driveway. But this helps keep away troublemakers who might see an empty house and want to do damage.

- - - - - -

On the way home, it was off to the diner for a late evening bite to eat.  By the time we got home, GFJ was ready to fall out, and I let her sleep for a bit while I wrote today's blog entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment