Sunday, April 8, 2018

Another volunteer stint and a game night to relax

As I've mentioned before, I love old movies.  But today's development will get in the way of seeing one I've always wanted to see on the big screen.

- - - - - -

Today, I woke up without getting enough sleep.  If I didn't have to go to the GLBT Center to do this week's volunteer stint, I'd have stayed in bed, put the CPAP mask back on, and slept for another 4 hours.  But this was not in the cards for today.  Instead, I got myself moving around 11 am, did some stuff online, and was ready to leave the house a little before 3 pm.

Arriving at the GLBT center, I first chatted with the volunteer coordinator, and then got to working on today's task - sticking labels on envelopes for a mass mailing they would be doing later on.  The coordinator liked a suggestion I made - print envelopes with both the recipient address and the return address. It would save them the cost of buying labels and printing them to be stuck on envelopes. He'll look into doing this with the equipment on site. 

When I was done, I drove home to take care of a couple of things.  First, I wanted to send out a resume to a bank that was at yesterday's LGBT Job Fair. (Note: I usually use GLBT instead of LGBT in this blog, only to keep in sync with a typo made years ago that would take too long to fix in all posts.)  I figure that if they were looking at people at a LGBT Job Fair, that they would be tolerant of a transgender woman whose legal paperwork still identifies her as a male.  Once I was done with the resume, I decided to do a quick batch of Chocolate Almond Fudge Brownies before driving to game night.

I was ready to leave for Yonkers around 7:30, and I made it to game night around 8:15 or so. After the last game, one of the new female members (a social worker) asked me questions about being transgender.  (She was afraid of offending me, not being sure if I was Cisgender or Trans, and not being sure if I wanted to talk.  I told her to ask away - I m open about being trans.)  She learned a lot, and I know that we will likely talk more about this in the future.

On the way home, I chatted with GFJ before all her family starts to come in for Easter.  She asked what my schedule was for the rest of the week, and I said that I had to be at the co-op board meeting on Wednesday.  One problem.  If I stay over into Tuesday morning, I'd have to be in the Croton area by noon, so that I could make it to Pleasantville to see The Americanization of Emily on the big screen.  Damn!  Any other Tuesday, and I wouldn't have any problems....

Such is life....

No comments:

Post a Comment