Saturday, February 10, 2018

The car just likes visiting the mechanic!

It feels strange being without a car, and only being able to look out my windows instead of getting around and seeing friends.  But my car is in the shop again, and I am forced to spend the day in Mario Mode, so that I can interact with my mechanic without showing him my transgender nature.

- - - - - -

Last night, I was so tired that I fell asleep without my CPAP mask on.  This meant that I'd get a lousy sleep AND would feel tired in the morning.  So when I first woke up, I put my mask on, set my alarms for 9 am, then went back to sleep for another 2-3 hours.

Waking up again at 9 am, I rushed into the shower, got dressed as Mario, and went out to my car. And then I found that I had to have spilled something sticky on my passenger seat (it could have been a Mickey D's shake from the other day) that had to be cleaned up. So I figured that I'd stop down the hill and pick up some upholstery cleaner and attack the seat before going to the mechanic.

Around 10 am, I arrived at the mechanic, and then was driven home.  When the driver started my car, the 3 idiot lights weren't on anymore.  Could they have already been reset? Probably not. I don't think they even touched the car at that point. So this was a mystery that would have to be explained later on.

About 6 hours later, I received a call telling me that the car was ready.  When I asked about the cost, the fellow on the end of the line said: "No Charge".  When he picked me up, again he said "No Charge".  Either they couldn't find anything, or they didn't do anything.  I prefer the former possibility. But if the problem happens again, I will drive the car over to the shop, leave the engine running, and show them that the idiot lights are on again - if only so say that I wasn't nuts the first time I saw this problem happen again.

- - - - - -

Once I dropped the fellow back at the shop, I decided to drive to Long Island and see my dad.  Normally, it takes me about an hour to an hour and a half to reach his nursing home if traffic is good.  But I was making great time all the way to the bridge, and I realized that I'd have to kill time until my Dad finished his dinner. So I overshot his exit on the L.I.E., and drove on some side roads to occupy my time until 7 pm. And then, it was off to the Nursing Home.

When I reached the home, I noticed that the parking lot was emptier than usual. Going inside, they had a notice asking people not to come in if they had cold or flu like symptoms. Since I had none, upstairs I went to see my dad. Walking down the hall, I noticed hallway doors shut that were normally open. So I walked through the doors and saw my dad.

It seems like they are trying to stop a flu outbreak before it starts.  My Dad called my sister in law to tell her NOT to come over until the outbreak ends.  Not knowing this, I came in, and my Dad was trying to shoo me out the door for my own safety.  So I kept 6' of distance between me and other people, chatted with him until my coffee was done, and then left.  I spent 3 hours of my life to spend 10 minutes with my Dad - and it was well worth it!  He looked much better than he usually does, and even my niece noticed this in her last visit.

- - - - - -

It was a better day than expected, and it's strange that I can say it for a day in Mario Mode.

No comments:

Post a Comment