Thursday, January 18, 2018

A little volunteering and a little shopping afterwards

It was all I could do to get myself moving today.  Right after the Co-Op board meeting ended last night, I was feeling a little ill, and retired to my bed to get comfy. Waking up the next morning, I was still very uncomfortable and feeling like I had a fever.  Yet, after a few more hours, I started to feel better and decided to go to the GLBT Center for my weekly volunteering stint.

Before I left, I sent the following to the professor in charge of my speech therapy at Mercy College, and described the most notable event regarding the cruise I'll be soon taking with Lili:

My friend is likely paying for our cruise with gambling comps. In short, because she drops about $400-$500 per day on most cruises, the cruise line casino comps her to cruise and only asks her to pay taxes and tips.  As for me, the casino is lucky if I drop $20 per day. The last time I cruised, I took out a $20 bill on day one, went to one slot machine and pulled the lever. About $5 later, 4 dancing girls appeared on the "Carnival in Rio" themed one armed bandit.  There was no way I can avoid looking at people (my original draft said "Scantily Dressed Women") dancing.  And by the time these scantily clad ladies finished dancing, I had another $360 in my pocketbook.  No wonder why they were scantily clad - they couldn't afford clothes after paying me off.  :-)

PS: I came home with $350 of that $360.  I didn't want to pay their dressmaker for new frocks...

Arriving at the GLBT Center, I chatted with the volunteer coordinator for 30 minutes, and then got to the task at hand: Putting announcements for activities at the center on to Facebook, and scheduling the sending of these announcements to members.  This took me about 30 minutes, but I really didn't have much energy to do more.  So, after another little task, I left for the week, and decided to take a drive.

My first stop was Catherine's in Poughkeepsie.  Unfortunately, I needn't have bothered, as I got to the store as it was closing.  (They close early in January, as it is a soft month for sales.)  There was nothing I was interested in, so the 5 minutes I spent in the store was just a quick look-see.  Next, it was off to The Avenue in Newburgh, where DD was on duty.  She is getting frustrated with the store's current manager and is thinking of leaving.  I'll miss her if that happens, but we now have each other's numbers and Facebook ids so we can keep in contact.

Strangely enough, I keep worrying about an antifreeze/coolant leak. And I keep "smelling" fluid where I see nothing leaking on the ground.  It could be a figment of my imagination, or it could be something very small and real.  Either way, I'll have to keep monitoring things with the car.


No comments:

Post a Comment