Monday, October 16, 2017

The rest of an interrupted weekend

Once I was done with the civil service exam, I had the rest of the weekend free to spend in Marian mode. Although I changed my schedule to have GFJ come over on Monday, this still left Saturday evening and Sunday free to go out as Marian.

- - - - - -

As expected, when I got home on Saturday afternoon, I fell asleep for a couple of hours. The only way I knew I had fallen asleep was that I remembered the beginning of one movie on TV, and waking up to the end of another on the same channel. Taking it easy for a couple of hours, it wasn't until dark that I got outside. And that left me with few options of where to go. I ended up going to Barnes and Noble to sip some coffee and read some magazines for a while.

On the way home, I chatted with GFJ again. On Sunday, she'd be taking the bus to Schenectady to see a regional production of The Color Purple with one of her groups. This would leave me with a full day to be out and about as Marian - if I could only get up and moving early enough.

- - - - - -

Sunday came, and I didn't even wake up until just before noon.  Although I didn't do anything all day, I ended going out Mario!   By the time I got finished with a couple of phone calls (Maria and my brother), it was 4:30, and I knew I had to hustle if I wanted to see my dad before he would get ready for bed.  So it was into the shower, on with the clothes, and out the door.

On the way to Long Island, I encountered a traffic jam on the Sprain Brook Parkway. A tree fell onto the roadway blocking traffic, and the resulting backup was over 2 miles long. When I finally made it off the parkway, the bypass I'd normally use had its own 1 mile traffic jam, so I turned around and took the Saw Mill Parkway towards the Bronx.  Eventually, I made it to the Whitestone Bridge, and found that cashless toll collection works as expected - there was no traffic jam in either direction leading to the former toll booths.  From there, it was smooth sailing to the nursing home where my father is.

I only had 15 minutes with my dad before he wanted to go back to his room. But it was good to see him again. However, it was even better to see my brother and to have dinner with him after seeing dad. We talked about many things, and talked about nothing. But most of all, we agreed that we must do some long term planning so that our assets cannot be attached by potential creditors.

All too soon, it was time to go.  My brother had an early morning appointment with a sleep doctor, and I had to go home and rest. GFJ called me on the way back, and we chatted for most of the trip home.


No comments:

Post a Comment