Monday, October 2, 2017

Starting a weekend as Marian and finishing it as Mario

Friday had no commitments for Mario, so I was free to spend it as Marian. This is always a nice way to start a weekend. Although Saturday mornings are now Marian Mornings due to Speech Therapy, the rest of the weekend is open for Mario to come out if he has a social engagement that requires his presence.

- - - - - -

Although I had set the alarm clock to wake me at 10 am, I didn't get up until shortly after noon. I could joke that "it's a nice life and someone's got to live it." But that would be cruel to those that don't have the resources I have if I were to joke like that.  When I finally realized what time it was, I figured that I'd get my ass out of bed and consider what I wanted to do for the rest of the day.

There were so many things I could have done, but I really didn't want to bother with going into the city to see another off-Broadway play as part of the 20@20 deal.  So instead, I decided to drive to The Avenue in Newburgh and see if there was anything worth buying in the store. As expected, there was nothing worth buying, but I got a chance to see DD again and find out that she was going on vacation soon. DD complimented me, saying that the dress I was wearing (see above picture) looked very nice. Once done with DD and The Avenue, I went to Bed, Bath and Beyond and picked up a hamper to replace the broken one in my bathroom hallway.

After a quick dinner, I went to Walmart to pick up a pillow and a couple of pillowcases.  Around July, I tossed GFJ's pillow, assuming that she'd never be coming down here again. However, things changed.  I now expected her to be coming by on Sunday and it would make sense to make sure she has a replacement pillow - just in case. So I walked through Walmart, and one fellow (an employee) complimented me on my looks.  Was he paying me an honest compliment?  Did he see me as a man in a dress?  Who knows?  But I'd like to think that he liked how I looked and wanted to say something to see if I wanted to respond with something other than "Thanks."

- - - - - -            - - - - - -            - - - - - -

As usual, the alarms woke me up early on Saturday, and I rushed to get ready for voice therapy.  This week, the girls were ready and eager to go. And yet, it felt like there was more they could do.  I think it was the feeling of not being fully prepared to keep things moving quickly in the short time we had. (What does one expect for $60?  The professionalism of someone who'd have 10 years of experience and would charge 3x more?)  They will learn. And they gave me some exercises I could perform for the next few weeks to help develop my voice.

Unlike last semester, the girls (they are so young) took a benchmark of where I am with the mindset that they could find out what my natural feminine pitch was, and then exercise the voice box to raise that pitch by a note or two.  This would allow for all of my speech to come out in the gender ambiguous range, or even more remarkably, in the female range. (Yes, some of the notes I was hitting surprised me.)  That still leaves issues of intonation, inflection, and word choice to be dealt with. But it's a good start.

- - - - - -

Next, it was back home for a nap.  Since I only had 3 & 1/2 hours of sleep the night before, it was very important that I rest before seeing the Cat Lady (TCL).  If I had any sense AND she hadn't been plagued by stomach issues for a while, I'd have passed on the trip to Jersey. But with these factors in mind, we made plans - with movies being crossed out due to a lack of something interesting. (One thing I learned about her - she is very finicky in the films she will see.  That rules out a lot of the flicks that I might have seen with someone else.)

TCL and I went to one of our old standbys, a German restaurant in Hawthorne, NJ. and we proceeded to have a nice dinner.  I realize now that she and I could never be an item, as we have a limited amount of things we can talk about before one or the other of us would need to change the topic. Yet, it is nice having her as a friend. On the way home, I noticed a fireworks display in Mahwah, NJ and stopped to watch the closing. And then it was over to a nearby ice cream shop to have some amaretto ice cream.  Yum!

- - - - - -            - - - - - -            - - - - - -

Sunday same with me sleeping through the morning.  GFJ left a message that she would not be able to make it over in the morning.  Little did either of us know that she wouldn't be getting here until 4 pm.  This left us with few options for things to do.  So I went on a random drive, and reached Eddy's Grillhouse in Yorktown Heights.  Years ago, this building was the home of the local Friendly's ice cream shop but no more.  The new occupant of the space did a total remodel of the place, and one would never know about the previous occupant if one had never been in town when it was there.

Eddy's air conditioning was out of order, but it didn't seem oppressively hot in the building. So we proceeded to select something to eat from the American/Korean menu. Strangely enough, the ingredients used for the American menu could also be used for the Korean menu with different spices and accompaniments. Both GFJ and I enjoyed the meal and would go back there again.

After a short walk on the Putnam rail trail, it was off to the Blue Pig in Croton for something sweet. And that meant that I'd get a cup of apple cider sorbet and share a few spoonfuls with GFJ.  (She's now watching her diet, so she didn't want more than a spoonful or two.) That was a nice sweet to cap off the evening....

No comments:

Post a Comment