Tuesday, October 10, 2017

OHNY - Touring WNYC

This morning, I woke up with GFJ and both of us went our separate ways.  She went to walk across the Hudson and go swimming before work, while I changed into Marian Mode for a trip into the city.

As usual, I was out the door a little late, and this hurt me all the way to NYC. By the time I reached the subway station, I had no time to spare. When I swiped my Metrocard, the train was entering the station and I didn't have enough time to get down the stairs to catch it. This cost me about 10 minutes I could ill afford to lose. Then there was signal problems on the track which slowed things down somewhat. By the time I made it to the offices of WNYC, I was 10 minutes late.  Luckily, they were still making their presentation at a conference table, and I took a seat in the rear.

About 30 minutes later, it was time for the tour, and this lady took us all around the place. (Damn!  I wish I had her body.  The above picture does not do her or her dress justice.) We went through the offices, and past some of the studios where both WNYC and WQXR were broadcasting from.

They even had some relics from the time they were owned by New York City itself, when the station was located in a city owned office building.

I even got to record (with 15 other people) a 10 second Station ID message which may actually get played on air in the future.  This was fun!  (This link points to a reproduction of what I recorded at the station.)

- - - - - -

Alas, all good things have to come to an end, and so my visit did to the radio station. After a quick slice of pizza, it took me an hour to get to my car, and another hour to get to have a bite to eat with Lili at Panera Bread.  While there, she met two women who were talking about Bariatric surgery, and Lili told these ladies about her success.  I noted that she had lost over 70 lbs, and that she no longer needed her own zip code.  (Lili liked that joke. It reinforces in her mind how much weight she lost and will keep off her body.)

Once we were done with Panera Bread, it was over to Walmart to pick up a few things.  While there, I noticed a woman who I know from the days I commuted into NYC. Although I couldn't place her at first, I knew that she didn't know me as Marian, and I didn't want to introduce myself as Marian.  There was nothing this lady could have done to me. But I just didn't want to explain a lot of things - especially when Lili had to get back in contact with the string of people who were calling her while in the store.

- - - - - -

Eventually, I made it home. And this was the last of Marian until Thursday.  Tomorrow, I'll be going to the car dealership to get my car serviced and inspected. And the next day, I'll be seeing my ex boss and going to a co-op board meeting.  AARGH!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment