Tuesday, October 24, 2017

A day with Lili and a Plastic Surgeon

Although plastic surgery is still a work of art, it is not one that can be displayed at the Met. Instead, it can be performed by a surgeon with offices across from the museum. And that's where Lili and I headed today.

- - - - - -

When I awoke, I found that GFJ was not in bed with me. She was in the living room since 1:00 am, as she couldn't get back to sleep again and didn't want to keep me awake. (If I'm sleeping, it's usually very hard to wake me from a deep sleep. But I digress....) She started to get ready to see her doctor in Poughkeepsie, and left at 9:00 am. This left me free for the rest of the day, free to accompany Lili on her trip to NYC to see her potential plastic surgeon. As much as I wanted to stay in bed all day, Lili coaxed me out earlier than planned by offering to pay for lunch.  Knowing that we wouldn't be near food for at least 6 hours, I took her up on her offer. So I drove to Panera Bread, had lunch, and then it was off to the City.

Normally, I could drive to the City without thought.  Knowing the location of the surgeon's office was very important, as I was able to guide her to the office without needing the GPS on my phone. I was glad that we allocated 2 hours for the drive, as it took 90 minutes to reach 82nd and 5th from our neck of the woods.  We parked across the street at the Met's parking garage, then went to the surgeon's office a little early.

- - - - - -

Lili was called into the doctor's office and I accompanied her in.  She was worried that I'd entertain people, but there was nothing to worry about. When it's time to be serious, I can be deadly serious.  The lady who brought us into the office mentioned that she was Jamaican (she didn't sound it), and I mentioned my St. Kitts background (how could a white person have family from "the islands?") in passing. We had a nice chat until it was time for her to get back to her work.  The surgeon then came in, and Lili started discussing her desires and her concerns. About the only thing I had to say was a question regarding recovery time. And the surgeon told Lili that she'd be healed enough for photography by the time of her son's Vietnam engagement party. Lili wasn't sure about this until she saw another patient who had her surgery 1 week ago.  Lili thought: "WOW!"  This is what started to alleviate her concerns about healing from the surgery.

Once the surgeon left, we met with another person from the office who give Lili an approximation of what she'd expect to pay for the surgery.  She also had similar surgery to what Lili wanted, and made Lili feel more at ease.  By the time we left, Lili and I both had good feelings about this surgeon (he also worked on her late sister), and I told her that if I can finally lose my weight, that I'd choose him for a plastic surgeon if he did FFS.

- - - - - -

Leaving the surgeon's office, we now were in the middle of NYC rush hour. Instead of heading for the East Side Drive, I chose to take her up Madison Avenue to avoid traffic jams on either the East or West side. But once we hit 125th street, I directed her to cross the island to take the Henry Hudson drive northbound.  Why?  I remembered that Game 3 of the ALCS was being played at Yankee Stadium - and who wants to be in that traffic jam?

On the way home, we stopped for dinner, then she dropped me off at my car.  It was the end of a nice day spent en-femme, and this Cinderella got home before her coach turned back into a pumpkin.

No comments:

Post a Comment