Sunday, September 24, 2017

Saturday at Speech Therapy and on Avenue Q.

I had only one thing that I absolutely had to do today, and that was to go to the Speech Therapy center at Mercy College and start this semester's series of feminine speech lessons. After that, the day was my own, and I had a full day of it alone. Yet, it was not without problems, as issues at the family homestead caused my brother to respond to an emergency....

- - - - - -

My alarms were set to go off at 7:00, and with a moderate lack of sleep I arose to greet the new day.  It took me a while to get ready to go out, and to select a dress that I could wear to the first session. Once I found it, I finished getting ready, and out the door I went - with little time to spare.

Reaching Mercy at 9:00, I met the new student therapist, who was also a friend of the student I worked with in the Summer semester. And again, I went through a measuring of a base point from which to measure my progress. By the time we were done, I realized that this first session was geared to get the student practical experience in taking a baseline and not working from a prior therapist's data. So this week wasn't as productive as I would have liked.

Once done, I drove home. Along the way, I saw a Presbyterian church having a tag sale. Unlike many tag sales, I found out that all the proceeds from this sale went to local charities and not to the church. If I weren't getting rid of extra books in my apartment, I'd have bought one or two to read. (I'm still way behind in my reading, and don't need to add more books to my stack to be read.) When I was done at the church, I finally made it home and tried to nap for a while.

After stripping my clothes off to get comfortable, I read my email and saw today's show listing for 20@20.  One of the shows I wanted to see was supposedly on today, so I made plans to drive into the Bronx and then see the play I missed on Tuesday. Considering that it was warmer than I thought it would be, I changed into a different dress to be comfortable outside. Just before I left for the Bronx, my brother called to tell me that there was a backup in the family homestead's waste line leading out to the sewer lines in the street.  He had a very high price in mind for fixing the problem, and I told him that "we're in for a penny, and in for a pound."

At this point, I left the apartment and started my drive into the Bronx.  Stopping off at Mickey D's, my brother called again when I was on the drive in line.  Damn!  I didn't want to use Marian's voice to order my "fast food" when he was on the line.  So I pulled into a parking spot and chatted again. And then when the call ended, I walked into the store to get my burgers and drink. Eventually, I made it to the Morris Park subway station, and parked my car a little way from my ex-girlfriend's house. And then it was off to NYC.

When I reached Times Square, I walked to the theater and found out that the play was scheduled only for Tuesdays, and that the 20@20 email was wrong.  Luckily, I had a fallback plan - have a bite to eat, and then see either Avenue Q or The Imbible: A Spirited History of Drinking. Even with a different dress on, I was very warm, and wished I could take off my wig.  So I gravitated to places that were properly air conditioned to kill an hour before going to the theater. While at Starbucks, my brother called again - and I told him (via texts) that I was in the theater.

About 7:30 or so, I walked over to the theater and had no real idea of what I really wanted to see. Considering that The Imbible comes with 3 cocktails, I didn't want to bother with this play the way I was feeling. I ended up choosing Avenue Q, because I knew I'd get a good laugh.  Even though I've seen the play before, I still enjoyed it as much as when I first saw it.  The last thing I wanted was to wait on line when my face had gone past 12 hours without being freshened up.  So when the actors were taking their bows, I rushed out of my seat to be the first woman in the ladies' lounge, and the first woman out the door.  This way, there would be less chance of drawing attention because of my face.

Walking through Times Square to go home was a big headache.  Instead of walking along 8th Avenue like a smart person, I walked over to 7th Avenue and dealt with the tourist crowds. Not only did I have to deal with mobs of people, but I had to get around the various street performers who were taking up valuable space which could have been used by walkers. Eventually, I entered the subway, and it was as hot as I expected.  Luckily, I was able to catch a 7th Avenue express within a couple of minutes, and nabbed a seat before the train reached 96th Street. The best part of the ride was yet to come, as the local track in the Bronx was out for repair, and the train ran express to 180th street. Even better, instead of having to change there for the Dyre Avenue line, it was a through run!

- - - - - -

Sadly, Marian will have to go back in the closet tomorrow. But it will be nice for Mario to see GFJ again - this time, at her place.

No comments:

Post a Comment