Thursday, August 10, 2017

My last day of Speech Therapy for the semester



I feel a little sad.  Today was the end of my sessions with this speech therapist in training. And she is someone I'd like to keep in contact with over time - I'm just interested (as an older person) in seeing a young person succeed in life.  Sadly, this will not be the case. But hopefully, we will bump into each other now and then.

- - - - -

As usual, I had a hard time getting moving today. But it was not a hard a time as usual, as I made sure to get into bed earlier than before and to make sure that I avoided foods which could elevate my blood sugar before my bedtime. This, I think, may be a direct cause of me staying awake later than I would normally want.

Although I was "up and running" before 11 am, I still took my time before rushing out the door. This was just as well, as we had a severe thunderstorm alert. And the last thing I wanted to do was to drive in a torrential rain storm (which could also bring some hail into the mix). So I waited as long as possible, then drove to Mercy College for the last time this summer.

Since I've always wanted to see where one road came out, I decided to take an exit off of the Saw Mill Parkway that is regularly unavailable to me because of heavy traffic.  I figured that the road would drop me onto Route 9 a little North of Irvington (it did), and that I wouldn't lose too much time taking this detour (no way to tell).  Using this route, I made it to Mercy a couple of minutes late.  Luckily, I had my check in hand. So I didn't lose any time before my session.

I won't go into too much about today's session, save that I got a review of my progress that I can use next semester when the next therapist in training takes over. I did a lot of vocal exercises today. And they were very pleased with my progress on all fronts.  Hopefully, with vocal therapy taking place over a longer period, next semester's work will have greater, and more noticeable results.

- - - - - -

Next, it was off to The Avenue in Yonkers. I had no plans to buy anything. But I always enjoy examining the goods in the store. When I entered the store, I was "accosted" by a saleslady. And we ended up chatting for over a half hour on many things. Why a half hour? Well, it was pouring outside, and I didn't want to get wet.

When I was done there, I drove up to Mohegan Lake to meet with Lili for dinner. We had a nice dinner.  But she is having trouble dealing with her "ex" boyfriend, as she's afraid to go without a boyfriend in her life.  As for me, I recognize that GFJ is still taking off the edge that I'd feel if we had totally severed the ties that bound us together.


No comments:

Post a Comment