Thursday, August 3, 2017

Maria... I just met a friend named Maria.


Believe it or not, I woke up well before my first alarm rang at 7:30 am.  This is very unusual for me, but there's a part of me that is able to program my body to awaken at a certain time IF I have a reasonable amount of sleep beforehand. That condition must have been fulfilled, as I got a little more than 4 hours of solid sleep.

- - - - - -

When I got moving, I realized that I had to stay moving if I wanted to see Maria. So it was shave, shower, make myself up, get dressed, and get out the door. One thing - I went looking for a pair of stockings because it might be as cool as it was yesterday.  But by the time I put them on, I ended up taking them off, as I felt better and more comfortable with them off.  This was the right choice, as the weather was to hit 80 later in the day.  

Although I was running a little late, it wasn't too bad. I was able to make it to the diner by 9:45, and Maria and I had a nice leisurely breakfast and chat before she had to go and see her client at 11:30.

Maria has a daughter for whom linking actions with consequences is very difficult. She has a hard time seeing how a decision with a chain of expected events can cause her problems. So Maria has to be extra careful, as she has a grandson's life that depends on Maria being alert to things which may happen.  And so far, Maria has been able to take care of some of the responsibilities that her daughter is unable to shoulder on her own.  Fortunately, Maria's other daughter is doing well, and I can see a situation where the daughter gets married to the gentleman she is living with.  This daughter is able to manage her life well, and Maria is proud of her. Sadly, Maria is no longer in contact with any of her blood family, her father having poisoned the goodwill that should exist between a woman and her siblings.  In fact, her father has sold the family homestead, and has left no forwarding address for Maria to contact him. It's a sad thing when a child will never meet his great aunts or his great grandfather. And this makes me thankful for what I have with my family.

- - - - - - 

After I was done with Maria, I drove up to Curvy Consignment Plus and didn't find anything worth buying. However, I mentioned that I might be looking for work - and the lady gave me an application.  I guess that they could use another minimum wage person to staff the store, and that I present a good enough image to be there.

Stopping at home, I found that the mailman had delivered a package I ordered from Target. It was nice to receive a navy blue dress that I could wear in the summer with a matching shrug (bought elsewhere) to cover my shoulders.  So I just had to put it on before going out again. Although this picture of me in it is a terrible selfie, what do you think?

I then took my time driving to Dobbs Ferry for my weekly speech therapy session. The therapist in training complimented me on my dress, so I know that at least one other person likes my appearance.  I'll feel a little sad when this summer session is over, as I like the grad student who is conducting my sessions. However, I hope that I'll be able to get weekend sessions, as weekday sessions might interfere with me getting a job.  I'll deal with that issue when/if it becomes something that gets in the way of work.

At this time, all I had to do was deposit some money in the bank, so that my brother could pay some bills for the family homestead. And for this, I drove over to Mount Kisco - even though I could have gone to Ossining to do the same thing.  Yes, I wanted to browse through some more clothes, and this was the closest place I could do so.

- - - - - -

When I got home, I took a rest then made a couple of phone calls to women who responded to my POF ad.  Both were nice ladies, and I wouldn't mind talking with them some more. But will I have the time to see them?  Who knows?  But I'd like to know if there could be a spark with someone new....

1 comment:

  1. I like the blue dress. It reminds me of a favorite blue dress that I wish I still had. It was lined with a navy sheath covered with chiffon. I wore it my first time out to a civilian event. It was Halloween in the late 1990's and I went to a bar up towards Somers that was having a Halloween party. I paired the dress with black pumps, my black page boy wig, a black beret and brought along a cigar and went as Monica Lewinsky. It was one of the more memorable nights of my life.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete