Friday, July 28, 2017

Voice Therapy and Game Night


When I went on my cruise, I missed a speech therapy session. Today was the date that the rescheduled session took place.

- - - - - -

As I've noted in previous entries, I haven't been able to go to sleep at a "normal" hour. Last night was another one of those nights. Thankfully, I had all of my alarms set to go off around 9 am, so that I had a chance to make it to the speech lab on time. By the time I left the house, I knew that I would likely be a couple of minutes late, as I forgot that I had to fill the gas tank, figuring I'd be able to do so today.  I ended up making it to the speech lab at the stroke of noon, and didn't cry for being 5 minutes late to get things started.

The therapist in training and her supervisor noted that I was closer to having a feminine voice than I was to my starting point. And yet, they both understood why I needed help. Only by having trained people help me learn certain speaking techniques will I be able to have a feminine voice good enough to pass a "telephone test." Sadly, I only have 2 more sessions left with this person in training, and will need to start up again in the Fall. I will miss her.

- - - - - -

Once I was done at the lab, I moseyed over to the GLBT center to do my volunteer stint. Today's assignment was to update a list of names in a spreadsheet to have the most current addresses and phone numbers in each of several categories. This took the better part of 2 1/2 hours. Although there was more that I could do, my eyes were starting to cross, and I was starting to get hungry again. So it was off to Yonkers, and to kill time at the Barnes and Noble coffee shop there. It's amazing how much one can read if one wants to kill time. But in my case, I was skimming quite a few magazine articles, as my concentration was shot for the day.

When done at the bookstore, if was off to game night.  As usual, game night was fun - and I had the chance to have good chats with the ladies there. But most important about the night was a development with one attendee, N.  This fellow has creeped me out in the past, wanting to hang around me like a puppy dog. Well, he drove another regular attendee, S, nuts. And S decided that he will not play any games with N ever again.  At this point, the host and hostess made a decision that they will tell N that he should find another group to play with.

- - - - - -

On the whole, today was a good day - even though the temperature was well into the 90's. Hopefully, I'll be able to stay cool tomorrow, as I have to run into NYC to see a sister blogger in transit, then drive to Long Island to see my dad and show the family homestead to a prospective renter.


No comments:

Post a Comment