Saturday, June 3, 2017

Wedding Dress Shopping.- I wish it were me.


Have you wanted to "Say 'YES' to the Dress?"  Today, Lili's daughter in law did.  Isn't she pretty?  I was wishing that I looked as feminine as she does, as well as wishing that I could have that uniquely feminine experience of shopping for a wedding dress that I love.

- - - - - -

As usual, my alarms were set for 8 am, and I didn't get out of the house until 10 am - which was when Lili expected me over at her place.  She was a little upset at me, and I suggested that she pick me up at BJ's in Yorktown. This idea saved both the 15 minutes to get to her place, as well as the 15 minutes to get back to Route 35's intersection with the Taconic. I'll have to keep this in mind for the next time we have to meet and travel someplace in her car.

I had figured that it would take less than 2 hours to get to where we were going. But Lili was playing it overly careful, as she didn't want to screw things up for her daughter in law's dress shopping. So I wasn't surprised that we got within a few blocks of the store by noon. Lili had the idea that she could pick up some costume jewelry in the area, and asked me to stay in the car (blocking a fire hydrant) while she shopped. As much as I didn't like doing this, I did - even though she had an expired temporary registration sticker on the car's windshield. Could you imagine what would have happened if I had to move the car and a cop caught me without a valid registration for it?  It was a great relief when Lili came back, as any car problem would totally be her responsibility.

- - - - - -

Next, it was off to Kleinfeld's. Entering the door, there was a notice that we could be photographed for uncompensated "crowd shots", unless we made the sales consultant aware of our preferences. And Lili's daughter in law asked that we not be photographed. So there would be no chance later on of having her "Say 'YES' to the Dress" moment captured for posterity. It took a while for things to get moving, as there was a full house of ladies shopping for their wedding dresses. But when they did, young ladies wearing dresses were coming and going as it were an orchestrated dance.

Lili's daughter in law tried on at least 15 dresses, only coming out of the fitting room with 6 or 7 dresses that hit the mark. Although the liked the first dress, it wasn't "just right" for her, so she kept trying on new dresses until she was wearing something that looked absolutely fantastic on her. When she came out with that last dress (seen above), we all knew it was the one for her. Next was the choice of a veil. And this process took much less time than the dresses because of the ease of trying them on. Finally, there was the presenting of the bill. This is where time started to run slowly again, as the veil she first wanted cost more than the dress. Once an alternate veil was chosen, it was off to get the order written up and us out the door.

By the time we were done, it was close to 4 pm. We weren't on the road until 4:30, and we got stuck in all of the "Three day weekend" Friday traffic jams. It took almost 2 hours to get home, and I was bushed. Although we ate a quick, abbreviated dinner, I was home before 7:30, and ready to fall out.

Not a bad day for a transgender person....




1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a fun day...well, except for the traffic. Glad you enjoyed!

    M

    ReplyDelete