Sunday, June 25, 2017

There are Plenty of Fish in the Ocean, but....


Other than seeing the Cat Lady and RO, I have not bothered to go out looking for anyone new. Yet, I was recently surprised when someone responded to an out of date personal ad I had on Plenty of Fish - and made arrangements to see her for lunch today.

- - - - - -

This weekend was one that I planned to stay as far away from Croton as possible, as the yearly Clearwater festival was in town. Years ago, I used to enjoy going there. But now that I've been living here for almost 35 years, the festival is more of a bother than anything else.

Lunch was scheduled for 11:30 at Table 9, and I arrived before my date. She is a nurse with 3 young adult children, and I don't think we hit it off that well.  Was it my weight?  Was it my style?  Was it because she thought I might be a financial drain?  Who knows? But there are many other women I could date, and I am not in any hurry to go out looking for them.

Once done with lunch, I returned home to relax before seeing the Cat Lady. I figure that I'd try to take care of at least one unpleasant task (or task that I'm ambivalent about) each day. And today's task was to clean up all of the outstanding papers piled upon my desk, and filing them in appropriate folders where I can find them if I need them. Although I didn't bother to sort many of the bank statements by date. the paperwork can be easily sorted by date within each folder when I have the time and inclination.

Around 5 pm, I drove to New Jersey. The Cat Lady and I drove to a nearby Chinese Restaurant, and had to wait for 30 minutes before getting a table. The food was good, and it was a place that I'd visit again. Both of us left room in our stomachs for dessert - and proceeded to go down the street to a local ice cream shop. It was nice to get Amaretto ice cream in soft serve, and I had more than my share before we left.

I drove the Cat Lady back to her place, and we talked for about an hour in the car. Lili called, and I introduced the two women to each other, and then Lili went on and chatted about pets, an ex boyfriend, and people in general. Lili talked about me as Marian and me as Mario, noting that she preferred the company of Marian to Mario.  When Lili got off the phone, the Cat Lady mentioned that Lili fit a certain ethnic stereotype - and I agreed with her.

- - - - - -

Eventually, we had to part ways. Once safely on the road, I called GFJ - and we chatted on my way home. She had stopped halfway between Cleveland and home, as she was starting to get tired. Just before she got to the hotel, a cop pulled her over. She explained that she was lost, and looking for the hotel. The cop noted that her lights weren't on (the car was a rental) and figured out how to get them on for the one block ride back to the hotel.  (Strike another one against Ford - I couldn't figure out how to get the radio tuned on a test drive. She got mixed up thinking her headlights were on when only the running lights were on.) I'm glad she was near the hotel. I doubt she would have been able to make the rest of the drive safely during the evening.

GFJ will arrive home tomorrow, while I go down to celebrate Father's day with family on Long Island. Part of me wishes I could go to the FFGoW diner dinner. But I feel that family will always come first - and I'll be glad to see everyone in the afternoon....


No comments:

Post a Comment