Saturday, June 10, 2017

The end of the week and the beginning of a weekend.


It's been a while since I visited Washington, DC. And if I weren't going on the cruise in a few weeks, I'd be scheduling a trip down there in the Fall. However, I'm looking forward to my cruise. And I'm looking forward to getting away from the humdrum routine I've been living for a while.

- - - - - - 

Last night, game night was cancelled, and I stayed home to do some laundry. There was a conflict in the use of the machines, and I had to make do with slightly under drying one load, so that I could get the other load in (and paid for) before 9:30. If I hadn't done so, the machines are programmed not to accept payments until 8 am, and I would have been forced to get up early to dry a damp lump of clothes that I would have stashed in my storage compartment.

While the laundry was going, I had an online chat with GFJ. She was surprised to find me at home on a Thursday night, and I explained that game night was cancelled for this week. She noted that if she had known this, she wouldn't have scheduled dinner with her friend for the evening. As for me, I didn't say that I preferred what we did, as I had to do laundry and  wasn't sure that I wanted an evening date without her sleeping over.

- - - - - -

This morning, I finally got up early enough to cook myself a totally forgettable breakfast. And if I don't forget it, it will be because it was that bad!  To be serious, it was a day that I didn't want to get out of bed - except that I had my weekly volunteer stint to take care of at the GLBT center.  And my cooking efforts reflected this lack of interest in being awake.

I left for the GLBT center around 2 pm, and arrived around 2:30. They were busy preparing for the Pride Festival being held tomorrow afternoon, so I was kept busy making sure that the calendar entries were correct. The center maintains 2 calendars: the first for the activities of the GLBT Center, and the other for all GLBT related activities in the local area. Given that there was so much to do, all I could do before I left for the day was making sure that the GLBT center's calendar was correct.

After I left the GLBT center, I went over to YGN's place where I spent a couple of hours with her and her daughter. We don't get together enough, and she is always glad when I can visit her. She is also looking for project management positions, so we agreed to critique each other's resumes to have an idea of what we're doing wrong.

Next, it was off to the FFGoW meetup in Yonkers. Although I expected to be later than I was, use of the Bronx River Parkway and the correct side roads made it possible for me to be at the restaurant only 10 minutes late. Luckily, there was still another woman to come to this meeting, so I had more than enough time to look at the menu and place my order.

Tonight's dinner had 2 new attendees. Both of them seem to be nice ladies, and I hope to see them again at the next meetup. However, I won't be able to be at the next Chinese Dinner meetup, as I will be on my Canadian cruise that week. It's nice to simply be considered one of the gals. I've found that the only trace of my masculinity that comes up is that I look at a woman's hand to find out whether she is wearing a wedding ring or not. No, I don't feel any sexual interest in any of these ladies. But whatever interest I find I have is purely non-sexual, the attraction that I'd have with a friend of my own gender.

- - - - - -

On the way home, Vicki passed on information regarding her father's funeral arrangements. This morning, she texted me to inform me of the bad news. And tonight, I found out where I have to go on Sunday for the funeral service. Unfortunately, I have to be on Long Island that afternoon. So I will only be able to attend the funeral service and not the burial. Although they are sitting Shiva for only one day, I'm not sure if I will make it there. (I'm not sure if I want to sacrifice another en-femme day for the week. But don't say this too loudly....) The odds are that I'll be there. Yet, I find that there are just some times I need to be Marian - and I need it more than ever these days.

Now that I had this information, I had 3 people I wanted/needed to contact: GFJ, the Cat Lady, and my Brother.  GFJ has met Vicki, and I felt she should know about this even though she wouldn't be able to make it to the funeral, burial, or the sitting shiva. The Cat Lady was informed, so that she has an idea of what took up my time this weekend. And my brother had to be told, so that he understands why I'll be later than planned.

There is no good time to die. But if one must die, I hope that one has lived a long life like Vicki's Dad, and that one dies without pain or suffering.







No comments:

Post a Comment