Thursday, May 25, 2017

The last day of class. and I'm uncomfortable taking the next step.


Today, I'm finishing up a class that I should have taken 3 years ago when my work experience was fresh. I had much more energy then to keep up with things in class, and I had the self confidence I needed to push forward on my path towards getting my PMP certification. However, it is 3 years since I've been anything resembling a success at work, and I'm no longer sure if I really want to proceed down this path.

- - - - - -

But first....

Last night was a special co-op board meeting. And we discussed business matters that we would normally delegate to others. What I found interesting about the event was that some of the things I've been learning in project management classes has a use in this setting. After the meeting, I made it a point to chat with the president of the co-op to discuss my job search, and ask for whatever help she could give. I mentioned that I could easily work as simple office help, but would prefer to work as Marian if possible.

The meeting took much longer than planned, and I was starving by the time I got back to my apartment. For the second night in a row, I was eating a pork chop at the midnight hour. My circadian rhythms must be totally shot. This is an issue that I will need to take care of soon, as I'd like to have more time in my day where I can comfortably interact with others in real time.

- - - - - -

Waking up at 9 am, I found my apartment in a total mess. Although messy, I can get much of the place clean in 30 minutes. Over the past few days, I have attacked spaces in back of my dining room table to find things to either throw away or give to charity. Since I no longer need 20 year old luggage that weighs a ton, I can give these items to charity and not worry too much. There is an old computer on which I've loaded Linux that I'll dispose of, as it is slow and of not much use anymore. For the next day or so, these items will reside in my car, so that I can deliver these donations to either the GLBT center or the Salvation Army.

What I haven't mentioned so far is that I've also straightened out some of the boxes in my bedroom, tossing out things that I no longer need. This is a continuous process at this point, as I have accumulated so much stuff that I need to work in the downstairs storage compartment to make room for things I plan to keep, store, and use again.  Although I will likely have the time to work on the storage compartment, it will be limited by the weather. I don't do well when it is hot and humid.

In short, slowly, but surely, I am getting the overall mess in this apartment straightened up. It will be nice to have it in a shape which I can invite people here for a change.

- - - - - -

I left for class around 3 pm, and made it to Pelham in time to catch the 4:04 train with a couple of minutes to spare. After buying my ticket from the machine, I walked towards the soda machine and saw T from Arts Westchester. Did she recognize me as Mario? I don't know. But we both had a clear view of each other, and I acted as if I didn't know her. (We'll see if she has something to say at the next Arts Westchester meeting. If so, I'll talk about being transgender, and not wanting to open up a can of worms at the train station.)

When I got into NYC, Patty left me a message - she was leaving late, and wouldn't be able to meet me for dinner. So I picked up a very tasty burrito at the Mexican establishment, and then ambled over to class slowly. (There was no way I wanted to break a sweat on a day that broke 90 degrees. So, the slower I walked, the better it would be for me.)  Class started late again, as we had more problems with overhead projectors. Because of this, we moved to a third classroom for this last class. We are expected to finish up all of the remaining quizzes, the "post test" (an assessment to see how much we improved because of the class), and a simulated exam which will take 4 hours to complete - all within the next 2 weeks. I'm not in bad shape, but I think others will continue to play catch up until the last minute.

After class, Patty, another classmate, and I chatted about when we'll take the PMP exam. We all agreed that we will need to study until we know everything cold. This will take a lot of work. So I think we may end up doing a small study group during the summer, and take the PMP exam towards the fall. I hope this comes off. If not, I'll have to go it alone.

- - - - - -

When I got home, I decided to make the "Chinese" dumplings for this Saturday's FFGoW pot luck meetup. I am way out of practice for this. But I hope the gals find these dumplings both healthy and tasty. (These are pork pot stickers, so I'll want to make sure these dumplings are nuked well before serving on Saturday - just to be safe.) It took me almost 2 hours to get enough done so that everyone at the pot luck dinner has 2 or 3 of them. Of course, I ate a few while they were fresh. So this makes me the guinea pig for my own cooking....









No comments:

Post a Comment