Thursday, May 18, 2017

Politics, then my second to last PMP class


I'll open up with something not related to the main topic of this entry: The firing of the FBI Director by our president.

We have entered a period of constitutional crisis. Our president has attempted to kill off an investigation of his campaign's links to a foreign power. He has fired Preet Bharara, Sally Yates, and Jim Comey at times where the "continuing government" threatened to expose his links to Russia and other potential acts of treason committed by Trump.

Trump believes in authoritarian regimes, and wants to lead one himself. We now have evidence that the vice president may also be tainted in the investigations which have been going on. And the GOP, to this point, has stood to the side and let this clown put America into a position where we are losing "soft power', the ability to influence other countries' actions using tools other than our military. They have also allowed him to threaten the Bill of Rights by saying that the 1st amendment must be changed to limit freedoms of speech.

Why am I concerned?

When countries become authoritarian, they scoop up the GLBT population as a class of undesirables and perform a sort of "social cleansing". We are now at risk. What congress does in the next few weeks will affect all of us, and may be the signal that we need to "Get out of Dodge by Sundown."

- - - - - -   - - - - - -

Now, on to the topic I planned to talk about....

Although I felt rested when I got up, I realized that I wasn't wearing the CPAP mask when I went to sleep. I was doubtful that I'd get through the day without a nap before class, so I tried to fall back to sleep with the CPAP mask on - and couldn't. After an hour or so, I decided to turn the TV on, and all Morning Joe's "Talking Heads" could discuss was the threat to the country that Comey's firing posed. As a result, I decided to open this entry with the above political note of alarm.

Once I ate breakfast, I decided to get back on the bed - and I fell asleep for a couple of hours without my CPAP mask. This time, I know I was breathing through my mouth, as I woke up needing a glass of water. I guess that I'll need to put my chin strap on if I may be in a position to take a nap.

I'm glad that I busted my butt to catch up with the quizzes for class on Monday. This made it possible for me to be able to do the homework that was assigned, and be up to date by the time I attend the last class for this course. My next big headache will be registering for the PMP exam and scheduling when I'll take it. I'm not looking forward to it, but it's something I must do whether I like it or not. So I will soon go through my old resumes, collect project information and use it in my exam application process.

- - - - - -

When I finally got moving, I was running late. Instead of being able to park near the Pelham train station, I knew that I had to drive to the subway station near Ex-GF-M's house. (It's a little hard to contact her these days, so I'm going to give up the idea of using my old school's resources to fine tune my job search. But that's an item for another entry.) Although I made it to the subway with time to spare in reaching Grand Central, congestion on the tracks delayed my arrival by 20 minutes. Luckily, Patty had already picked up her food and was waiting for me to arrive.

Patty told me that she had called Habitat for Humanity to pick up furniture donations from her mom's apartment. (They have to clear out the place by month-end, as the new owners will be coming in shortly.) Patty was given an arrival time for Tuesday between 10 am and 4 pm, but no one called. By the time 4 pm came, Patty was a little upset, and she made this known to H4H. H4H said that the truck came around 3 pm, and there was no answer on the phone. Something was very wrong here, and some investigation was in order. It seems that the volunteer made a big mistake and did not dial the the area code part of Patty's phone number. Instead of reaching 917-pat-fone, the volunteer called 845-pat-fone, and didn't get an answer. The fellow at H4H said that this will be the last time that he lets a volunteer make the phone call. (Yeah, right!  I'll bet this has happened before, and he has had this canned excuse ready for "emergencies.")

As I finished my meal, Patty and I made it to the Fed-Ex office where she made copies of today's class assignment. Then we made it to class with a couple of minutes to spare. If it weren't for the caffeine I was drinking in sodas, I would likely have fallen asleep in class. Instead, I made it home fully awake. And I was able to write this entry before packing it in for the night.










No comments:

Post a Comment