Friday, May 26, 2017

It's too damned hot!



Years ago, Cole Porter wrote a song with this lyric:

According to the Kinsey Report, ev'ry average man you know
Much prefers his lovey-dovey to court
When the temperature is low
But when the thermometer goes 'way up
And the weather is sizzling hot
Mister pants for romance is not

'Cause it's too, too, too darn hot

When I went outside this morning, it was already over 80 degrees, and ready to climb into the 90's. There is no way that I'd go do my volunteer stint today in this weather, and there is no way that I would go to game night unless the air conditioner was blasting cool air directly onto me. So I made alternate plans, with the objective of staying cool.

- - - - - -

Knowing that my cleaning lady was supposed to visit today, I cleared out all easily visible traces of Marian from the apartment, got dressed, and then relaxed. There was no reason to start anything which would again mess up the apartment.  My plan over time will be to go through ALL of my storage in the apartment, and give away the things that I don't need and no longer expect that I will need. It'll be nice to see less clutter in this place and to have more room for things such as a nice wardrobe.

I'll readily admit that I have a full wardrobe for both genders. It makes sense for me to prune out those items I no longer wear, and make room for those things that I do wear (and will wear).  Given my large size, I have an over supply of hosiery.  My hosiery wears out too quickly, or it develops runs too easily. In either case, it's hard to find stuff in my size when I need it, so I stock up when I can find it. This takes up more space than I'd like. And it's one issue I'll address when I look for ways to do more with less space in the apartment, while using my storage compartment in the basement more actively.


I'll bet that the heat was a factor for my cleaning lady today. Normally, she'd have been in and out of my apartment around 3 pm, and she hadn't shown up. I don't mind it if she has to postpone things - especially when the weather is hot. But it would be nice to receive a call to let me know her status.

- - - - - -

For the past few Saturdays, I have been trekking to Long Island to help my brother with work on the family homestead. This coming Saturday will be the first day in a while where I will not be expected to go to Long Island. And given the weather over the past couple of days, I'm glad that we got as much work done as we have. It'd be too hot to do much as the weather gets warmer.

There is still a little bit of work that needs to be done, and my brother will be taking care of it. One of the things that has to be done is carpeting a room that we didn't originally plan to rent out. We will likely go to the same people who sold us the carpet for the upstairs room we originally planned to rent and ask for the same carpet type in the "new" room. Another thing to be done is a window repair. One of the wood pieces that frame the glass separates from the other three. This likely can be fixed with both a carefully placed screw and some adhesive. (Famous last words....) And then, we must make sure that all of the radiators (we have steam heat) have radiator covers. There are enough little things that may force us to drop in some more investment money. Yet, we're seeing daylight at the end of the tunnel.

Once the place is rented, the tenant will need to install a window air conditioner for the upstairs rooms. Unfortunately, we don't have electrical service for an air conditioner in the South facing window. The family renting the place will need to figure out how to deal with that issue on their own.  (I'm glad that we're renting out the place - I'd hate to live in that  room in the Summer.)

- - - - - -


For the most part, I've been filling up my weekends without planning for GFJ being around. Although we are on the phone with each other almost every day, I've stopped hinting that I'd like her to come down on a free weekend. I think that over time we'll drift apart, as we are no longer making the investments in each other to maintain or grow what we once had. It's sad, but it's something I knew could happen from the beginning.

There are a few people I'd like to get in contact with soon.  It's been a while since I've seen WDJ. Life has not been idyllic for her as of late. But I won't go into what little I know of her situation here. Instead, I'm hoping that she comes out of her shell, so that we can catch up on things. It seems like forever since I've seen Vicki, and I'll have to give her a call to see what is doing. Vicki#2 has just had a wedding ceremony with her wife (remember, she is polyamorous and is already married to a nice fellow), and finally has some free time.

As it always has been for Mario, Marian seems to be the person always having to initiate contact with someone to arrange a get together. Although I am used to this, I really wish that more people would call me because they wanted to be with me. This might be the one thing I might ask for (within limits) if I already got my wish to be healthy, wealthy, wise, secure and happy.

- - - - - -

Lili has made a decision to go on a cruise towards the end of June. As much as I might want to go with her, I can't afford dropping $1,500+ for a balcony room when I don't have enough money coming in to keep from draining my savings account. I may just have to plan an inexpensive vacation cruise without her. I hear from Lili almost every day. But today's heat made it impractical for us to meet. She had gone out earlier and suffered through the hottest part of the day. Whereas, I was smart and stayed in air conditioned comfort. When I finally made it out today, the sun was about to go down, and even 88 degrees in the shade seemed much more bearable than 90 degrees in the sun. Too bad Lili was no longer in the mood to go out, as I would have liked to tell her about my cruise decision in person.

- - - - - -


When I finally made it out, I was in a summer dress that I hadn't yet had much opportunity to wear. So I drove to Newburgh and went to my favorite store, hoping that DD would be there. (She used to have a Monday, Thursday, Saturday schedule.)  Unfortunately, with a new grandchild on the way, she has changed her fixed days so that she can take care of family matters. While there, a woman came in with her daughter and was looking for a white summery dress for her bridal shower. (It could have been a rehearsal dinner, but I couldn't be sure of anything.) The daughter went into the dressing room to try on two dresses, and I struck up a chat with the mother about typical female things - such as not being able to lose weight. Everyone liked the daughter in the first dress (the one the daughter chose), and we thought that the second dress didn't quite work as well as the first. (If the overlay fabric didn't create hi-lo hem line, then the second dress would have been much better.) After the daughter bought the first dress, the mother made it a point to say goodbye to me - as if I were just another woman shopping for clothes.

My trip home was via the "overland route", going to Woodbury to first shop at Target and Walmart, and then cross over the hills, then the Bear Mountain Bridge on my way home. This is much longer than the way I'd normally go home from Newburgh. But it was a much needed change of pace. Although I tried on 3 dresses at Target, I had interest in only one - and again said "No" to the dress. There was nothing worth buying at Walmart save some tissues, so I got out of both stores with little damage to my wallet.







No comments:

Post a Comment