Saturday, May 27, 2017

I wish I could get my Mani-Pedi


Now that the weather is getting warm, it time for me to get a Mani-Pedi. Wearing sandals will be the order of the day, and I want my feet to look good while wearing those sandals this Summer. There is only one problem that now gets in the way of doing this - I have 3 dates for which I'm scheduled to present as Mario in the next week that make it cost-defective to get the Mani-Pedi until month end.

- - - - - -

Normally, I schedule activities so that I would not flip flop between Mario and Marian in a single day. If I  had anything that required my presence as Mario (such as a doctor's appointment), that item would appear on my schedule first with enough lead time for me to change into Marian. Luckily, I only had the following 3 things on my calendar for today:
  1. Volunteer work at the GLBT Center
  2. Getting together with YGN (Finally!)
  3. Diner Dinner with the FFGoW's
It was a typical schedule for me when presenting as Marian. First, I'd go to the GLBT Center and do 2-3 hours of volunteer work, then I'd call YGN and drop over for a chat, and finally go to dinner with the gals of the FFGoW meetup group.

There was a potential complication. My cleaning lady did not come yesterday, and there was the possibility that she would come today. This forced me to get up and out as Marian before her possible arrival - all while making sure that the important traces of Marian were put away in the closet for when I got home later in the day.

- - - - - -

I ended up getting out of the house a little before 11 am, and reached the GLBT center at 11:30. I've found that it's much easier for me to go out as Marian when I know I can leave my make up case (and other things) out in view, and I think I'll soon change my scheduled volunteer day at the center accordingly. I mentioned this to one of the directors, and will let him know which day I choose in the future.

Today's volunteer stint had me updating the calendar and "opportunities" postings on their web site, and it kept me busy for the better part of 3 hours. My eyes were beginning to cross by the time I was getting this task done, and I was glad to leave around 3:00.  When I got to my car, I called (and texted) YGN, only to find out that she was in Garrison doing a photo shoot. (I'd love to see her pictures one day.) So I had several hours to kill before going to the diner to see the FFGoW's.

- - - - - -

One of the places I can visit to kill time is a book store. And I decided to visit the Barnes and Noble store that took over the former Borders location in Eastchester. Whenever I want to kill time at a book store, I look for an interesting book, try to find a place where I can sit down with that book and some coffee (they have a right to get some money from my pocket), then enjoy reading for a while. And the book that I picked up, "The Orphan's Tale" was perfect for the day. If I had the time, I'd have finished the book in one sitting. Instead, I only got a third of the way through the book.

Next, I decided to walk over to Starbucks. Unlike most B&N's, the Eastchester store has gone upscale and its "coffee shop" is more of a miniature restaurant and bar than a coffee shop. While there, I met (in passing) one of the people who I encountered earlier in the day at the GLBT center. This kept me busy for a while, until I decided to drive over to Yonkers.

Since I still had about 45 minutes to kill, I did some window shopping at The Avenue, where I found out that they were working with a short staff. (Read: If I wanted a grunt job that would keep me on my feet, I could get one here.) The lady I gabbed with reminded me that I should not buy anything until tomorrow, as they had a bonus point promotion that would give me 5x the usual credits for my spending. However, I may end up paying cash for the one purchase I plan to make, so I doubt this will help me with much.

- - - - - -

Once done with The Avenue, it was over to the diner where I met the rest of the FFGoW's. WPB made a comment that this was the first time that I was early - and I think it might have been a nice way of saying that I'm "on time" for a change. We had some interesting  conversations over dinner, but I could tell that something was missing - one of the ladies who added a certain irreverent spark to the topics that come up. (This lady doesn't look her age, and she often ends up with younger men around her - and she has fun with this with us.)  Hopefully, she'll be around next time. 

All too soon, it was time to go. On the way home, I called Lili to confirm our trip to Kleinfeld's next week. It'll be interesting to be in the same setting where the original version of the "Say Yes to the Dress" show was filmed. It'll be very interesting to be with a small group of women as Lili's daughter in law chooses the dress she'll use for one of her formal wedding ceremonies. Too bad that I won't be able to go to Vietnam for the ceremony being done for her Vietnamese relatives. 



No comments:

Post a Comment