Sunday, May 7, 2017

Another day at the family homestead....


The family homestead. The way it's now going, it'll be July before we can start making money from this investment.  After almost a year, we still need to sheetrock an upstairs room and the basement area above the burner.

- - - - - -

A while back, I mentioned to my brother that we need to do sheetrock above the burner, as required for a rental permit. My brother forgot about this requirement before he had the building inspector come the first time. So, we had to run out to Home Depot, pick up some sheetrock, an electrical box (for the wiring/mounting of a light fixture, and some 2"x4"s for the work we had planned for today.

My brother called around 8:30 am to wake me up. He thought I was already awake from how I sounded, but I was still semi-conscious until I walked over to the phone to pick it up. Once I had answered the phone, I was fully awake - and proceeded to get showered, dressed, before getting out of the house by 9:45.  Even with traffic, I was there by 11:00 - which was better than I expected.

Shortly after I arrived, my brother picked me up, and we were off to Home Depot to pick up the goods we needed. Then, it was back home to take care of the house after a quick bite to eat. My brother and I started stripping out ceiling tiles and furring strips, so that we could prepare for the mounting of the sheetrock. Then we started attaching 2"x4"s to the beams, in order to have a supporting structure for the sheetrock. By this time, my brother was exhausted, and not in the mood to do the sheetrock. So we put this task off until next week.

- - - - - -

Although I might have been able to drop by and see RO, it was late in the day, and I was likely a little too pungent to see her. I texted her to tell her that I was exhausted, and hoped that we can schedule something soon.

Driving home was exhausting as I hit traffic jams on every approach that I considered using to cross the East River. I got into the Yankee Stadium area just as the game was letting out, and bailed to use Bronx Concourse as a bypass - and this didn't help. Eventually, I made it home, and decided to stay in for the rest of the day....

 

No comments:

Post a Comment