Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Summer in NYC?


Note: This post was originally written when I working in the city....


- - - - - -

Sometime last spring, the temperature hit the 90 degree mark and women took off their pants.  Of course, they were wearing their dresses and skirts.  And if one enjoys looking at female bodies, this was the perfect time to do so.  (No, I'm not thinking of sexual desire.  Instead, I'm thinking like an artist appreciating a work of art.)  

While waiting for a train at Grand Central, I took an informal survey of women passing by while I was eating a snack.  Roughly 50% of the women who passed by were wearing skirts or dresses, and they looked more comfortable than those women who were wearing slacks. The next day, even more women were wearing skirts or dresses.  When I reached work, I saw a lady who struck up a conversation while on the elevator.  She commented on how hot it was expected to get, the pleasure of wearing a skirt, and this being the payback for having to wear stockings during the winter.  (Little did she know that I also appreciate wearing skirts and dresses - and it was not something I'd bring up in a 30+ second elevator ride....)

- - - - - -

There is a big difference in the number of women who will wear skirts and dresses between suburban women and those who spend much of their time in the city.  It seems like when there is a greater population density, women will choose to wear skirts and dresses - as if there is a subconscious competition going on.  Yes, women dress pretty first to make themselves happy.  But there is competition going on as well.  

GFJ lives in far out suburbia.  I can't remember the last time she wore a dress.  In fact, I have worn more dresses and skirts while en-femme than she has done all year.  But then, women aren't competing with each other as openly as they do in the big city.  

I'm glad that I had access to the big city for work....



   

No comments:

Post a Comment