Friday, April 7, 2017

Sometimes, someone just creeps me out....


Game night.  Something I look forward to every week. Yet, someone/something creeped me out tonight.  And I wonder whether it is that someone may be showing an interest in me without being able to say anything, or whether it is just this person's style that is getting to me. In either case, I have to be careful when saying things, as I don't want to accuse a person of causing problems without unquestionable proof.

- - - - - -

I've been putting off bringing down my sister in law's lasagna to share with the group for several weeks. And last night, I again forgot to start the thawing process so that I can deliver it to the venue in time for it to be heated up before everyone arrived. As a result, I decided to make some Chocolate Amaretto Brownies by bastardizing a brownie mix, and  have it ready for tonight's gaming.

Around 6:00 pm, I decided it was time to get ready. But I figured that I'd start the process of making the brownies, so that they would be baking while I took my shower. The instructions on the batter mix said to expect that it would take 35 minutes to bake. So I planned to put the mix in a pan and bake it while I took my shower. Even with time needed to shave my arms and legs, I figured that I'd be ready before the brownies - and I was right. I still had time to do my makeup before taking the baked brownies out of the oven.

- - - - - -

At 7:30 or so, it was time for me to drive down to Yonkers - and I was running late. Yet, I made good time until I got off the Saw Mill Parkway and picked up some Mickey D's cheeseburgers to kill my hunger pangs. Years ago, McD's used to brag about their "Speedee Service System". Now, it takes 10 minutes for a car to get through the drive in line.  Speedy?  Not anymore. But I digress.

I arrived at the venue around 8:30, and the second gaming table wasn't running yet. So, I chatted with the two other ladies for a second and went into the kitchen where the second gaming group usually plays. And this is where things started to get a little strange. One person (I'll just call him "N" for now) seems to follow me like a puppy dog, wanting to impress me. He always wants to play "King of Tokyo", and I find that game boring if played more than once in a blue moon. Another attendee suggested that N talk to the Host's son upon arrival, as he knew that the son loves to play that game.

Eventually, a few of us gathered in the kitchen and we played a few games, Qwirkle being one of them. N never got the hang of this game. Then we played Tsuro (pictured above), where N and I came to a draw. And finally, we played Codenames - where he was more of a hindrance than a help. There was no polite way for me to shake this fellow, and he was always gabbing - not knowing when to shut up and let the other person speak.

As we were leaving, another regular came to me and complimented me on my baking. (I didn't do much, but he appreciated my effort, given that he often bakes Baklava for the group.) He then asked about whether we were coaxed into playing King of Tokyo, and I said we were lucky NOT to play that game. And I mentioned tactfully that N doesn't know when to relax and let someone else speak.

- - - - - -

On the way home, I started asking myself whether N is simply a young man who needs to learn a more comfortable communication style. And I got to wonder if he was trying to hang out with me because he was interested in me for other purposes.  Is this what many women go through when any male shows interest in them? I don't know. But I know that I'd better learn as much as I can about male/female communication, so that I can respond properly as Marian. I'd certainly not want to imply to any male that I am interested in him for any companionship other than that on the dance floor....


1 comment:

  1. I remember the Mickey D "Speedee Service System" so my age is showing. And you're right, it's not speedee any more!

    M

    ReplyDelete