Saturday, April 29, 2017

One day as Mario, One day as Marian.


I had to get a little cheesy for today's post and use shots from that wonderfully trashy flick, "Glen or Glenda" to start this entry. Ed Wood was ugly in either mode, but he is remembered for some of the worst films ever made. And yet, because they are so bad, they have actually made someone some money over the years.

As for me, my Thursday was spent as Mario, and Friday as Marian. And there are some ties between the two days that are interesting.

- - - - - -

Unlike most Thursdays, I had to be in male mode this Thursday for two reasons: (1) Lunch with GFJ, followed by a movie, and (2) the yearly public Co-Op board meeting. As much as I wanted to blow off lunch, I figured that it would be better for me to go and see GFJ to either finalize what is in her heart, or to keep things alive. Either way, it wouldn't be right to avoid her. So I headed to Newburgh for lunch to spend the better part of the day with her.

Arriving at the diner, I ended up waiting a few minutes. The diner was relatively empty, as it was not yet lunch hour and it was far enough off the beaten track not to be crowded at any time of day. (I wonder how this place stays in business.) GFJ got there, we hugged each other, then went inside to eat. We talked a bit, but neither of us addressed the elephant in the room - what decision has GFJ made in regard to our relationship? Given that the movie ("Going in Style") was starting at 1 pm, both of us were able to linger for a while before driving the 5 minutes to the theater.

When we got to the theater, neither of us could remember the name of the film - both of us were suffering from a case of CRS (Can't Remember S--t). But we remembered the stars of the film, and were seated in time to see the start of the film. For the most part, this is a predictable film with a couple of fun twists. And it is a nice bit of fluff which I can easily recommend to occupy a dismal day. But what I found interesting was that GFJ and I were holding hands as if nothing happened.

After the film, GFJ and I chatted in her car. We finally got to talk about the elephant in the room, and she was still unsure of what to do. I gave her the case for staying with me, then gave her a kiss. To me, part of the magic we once had was gone.  But who knows? The way I feel, I have the freedom to quietly date. But I won't be placing any ads on OK Cupid soon.

- - - - - -

Leaving GFJ, I decided to call HWA to determine the time our co-op board meeting was supposed to start. and I was glad to have enough time to get home, take care of a couple of things, and then go to the library where our meeting was to be held.

Unlike many of our board meetings, we met with people we rarely talk to as a group, and then had an enjoyable public meeting. This year, we had no trouble getting a quorum of shareholders needed to vote in our unopposed slate of board members, as well as to make this meeting an official meeting. So it was nice when we were able to conduct our public business in less than 30 minutes, and be home by 9 pm.

- - - - - -

Friday came, and I just didn't want to get out of bed. I know that some of you may be a little envious of me for getting up at 11 am. But it is a mixed luxury, as it means that the day has less value to me than it does for most people.

I eventually made it to the GLBT center around 3 pm, and was working on their online calendar until 6 pm. Maintaining a calendar in their system is very awkward, as it doesn't provide for multiple entry deletes, nor does it take care of the little niceties (such as making it easy to search for a calendar or blog entry) well. So I didn't mind doing this grunt work, as it was mindless enough to help me kill the time needed before the FFGoW meetup.

While at the GLBT center, I met a man who didn't have a full helping of brains. I won't call him an idiot, as that would be insulting a whole class of learning disabled people. While I was walking to the lavatory, he intercepted me in the hall asking if I knew a certain person. Then he asked me to figure out why he couldn't open a certain file attachment on his cell phone, when Facebook's error message was telling him that the sender didn't have the permission to send the file.  Later on, he was so clueless in trying to fill out a voter registration form, that he didn't have a clue about the political parties in this country - and was asking me for help.  Although I gave him a little help, I felt that this was the kind of person who should never be let near a voting booth, as he had no clue about or interest in what is going on with the world. I'm glad that he took the hint that I was too busy to walk him though the application process.

- - - - - -


At 6 pm, I moseyed over to the FFGoW meetup. I was lucky to be close and have gotten there early. They were doing construction on Central Avenue, and the water main replacement was in front of the small strip mall that the restaurant was in. Making my way to the parking lot, I was lucky to find a spot because the lot was packed.


We had a reasonably large group, even with 3 no-shows. The fellow with the guitar was a very good singer, and we enjoyed his music throughout dinner and dessert. But I have an even more interesting thing to report. The lady who sent me Thanksgiving greetings via OK Cupid was there and sitting next to me.  We ended up gabbing like old friends, and due to the crowding at the table, my left leg was often touching her right leg, and we were touching each other in the way women often do when chatting with each other. If I weren't in Marian mode, I might have defaulted to a masculine way of interpreting things. Instead, I took it as if she wanted to be very friendly. I left her with an opening to get together - she is losing her severance pay, and will soon be on unemployment. So I volunteered to help her with her resume - and will see if she responds. No, I'm not going to make any moves unbecoming a woman. Yet, if she knows about me and is interested in me, I'll give her an opportunity to signal any intent (or not) she may have. But please don't think I did anything a cisgender woman wouldn't have done. I'm only trying to make sure I have an accurate read on what is going on.

- - - - - -

All too early it was time to go home.  Tomorrow will be my last day en-feme before I have to stay a day as Mario, so that my brother and I can sheetrock the upstairs storage room and the basement near the furnace. I'm not looking forward to doing that, as I'll have to deal with a physically exhausted and emotionally drained brother.










1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete