Thursday, March 9, 2017

The pipes, they are a playing....




I figured that I'd start off this post with something light for a change. And the fellow that I saw at the end of my day gave me the inspiration for today's entry. So I figured that I'd start off with a Scottish joke.

- - - - - -

Donald MacDonald from the Isle of Skye went to study at an English university and was living in the hall of residence with all the other students there. After he had been there a month, his mother came to visit him (no doubt carrying reinforcements of tatties, salt herring, oatmeal and whisky).

"And how do you find the English students, Donald?" she asked.

"Mother," he replied, "they're such terrible, noisy people. The one on that side keeps banging his head on the wall and won't stop. The one on the other side screams and screams all night."
"Oh Donald! How do you manage to put up with these awful noisy English neighbours?"
"Mother, I do nothing. I just ignore them. I just stay here quietly, playing my bagpipes."

- - - - - -

Sadly, today was a day to be spent en-homme. Not only was I going to see my dentist for a long delayed visit to the dental hygienist, but I had to go into NYC for my first PMP prep class. Any thoughts I had of changing into Marian were just that - idle thoughts.

The visit to my dentist went well, but I ended up going back to a 4 month interval between cleanings, as my mouth had more gunk in it than expected. Since I had time to kill before leaving for NYC, I decided to pick up some lunch - and then take a needed cat nap.  (Even though I slept well enough, I felt tired upon waking up. And I knew that I'd never make it through the day and evening without a little more sleep.)   But first, it was a trip to a Metro North ticket machine to see if my old Transit Chek debit card still had funds which could be used to buy some off-peak tickets. And sadly, the card didn't work.  As they say, "nothing ventured - nothing gained."


Somehow, I managed to wake without an alarm, and realized that I had to rush to make it to NYC on time. I had a choice to make. Did I want to park in Pelham and take the train in from there? Or, did I want to drive to Ex-GF-M's neighborhood and take the subway into NYC.  Given how tired I expected to be this evening, I figured that the Pelham option made more sense.

- - - - - -

Even catching a 5:06 pm train, I made it to Grand Central with enough time to casually walk to the building where my PMP Class was being held. And I got there with a few minutes to spare.  When the class started, I wondered: what happened to Patty? As I started to text her, she entered the room.  It seems that she was late leaving an appointment with an eye doctor, and she decided to drive into NYC.

This class is going to be a lot of work, and I'm a little frightened that I won't do well when I take the exam. (Over 50% of the people fail on their first attempts.)  Patty is a little worried, but for different reasons - Her prior, successful project management experience taints her thought process, and will make it hard for her to learn the theory of project management that PMI tests for.

After class, I walked Patty to her car, and then we had some coffee before parting. It was nice being able to see her again, and I think we will develop a regular routine of getting together as part of this class.  Once done with coffee, it was across the street to fetch her car, then back to Grand Central for me to catch a train. And that's where I saw the bagpiper above.

- - - - - -

It's hard to believe that the weather was warm enough NOT to be wearing winter coats.The bagpiper was not the only one taking advantage of the weather. There were lots of women wearing "short" skirts, taking advantage of this weather while they could.  Sadly, I didn't get the chance to go into NYC as Marian for this round of warm weather. But I think I'll be able to do so when the next warm spell comes around.

- - - - - -

PS: I now have a Jury Duty date.  With the exception of the days which I'll be going to class, I intend to go as Marian, but provide Mario's identification when called.  They won't let me take a cell phone with me, but at least I can take a book or two to keep me from getting bored. (I'd like to ask if they could provide a locker for the phone while I'm there. I feel naked without access these days. Pat, can you comment on this? I hate the 2 hours each way to Pearl Street.)




2 comments:

  1. Marian
    It sounds like you are on Federal jury duty. They will take your cell phone when you enter the building and put it in a slot and give you a chit to claim it when you leave. You can get it any time you leave the building. They will also put you through a metal detector so think about wearing an underwire in your bra.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, Federal Jury Duty.... Hate the location.

      Delete