Thursday, March 2, 2017

I haven't been to an Outback in ages.

I haven't been to an Outback Steakhouse in years, and tonight's dinner with the gals will break my "winning" streak.  Given the choice between a good local place and a chain restaurant, I'll go with the local place every time.

But first....

When I woke up today, I had virtually no energy. Although I had a good sleep and felt well rested, I felt like all the energy had been drained out of me.  Of course, when it's warm inside, I get lethargic, and lose the energy I have.  If you keep me in cold comfort, I do fine. So, when Lili called to suggest that we meet somewhere after her therapy session, I said Yes - but wished I had a good excuse to say no.

Lili and I met at the local Starbucks after her therapy session.  And Lili is finally seeing what having her stomach sliced and diced has done for her.  She can no longer eat to anesthetize herself from feeling things. Instead, she has to deal with her feelings, and she's learning how to do so.  She mentioned that her therapist is recommending another form of therapy for her, very much similar to the treatment method my former therapist did with me. Lili wanted company, and I told her that I can't afford to go to another therapist. She'd have to go alone. And the more she does things on her own, the better off she will be.

As I was about to leave, a woman complimented me on the dress I was wearing, saying that I should always wear shades of aqua.  I thanked her, and noted that I like this shade, some shades of blue and violet, and a little bit of red.  It all depends on the mood I am in for the day. But this lady's compliment confirmed my decision to buy this dress.

- - - - - -

Once done with Lili, I drove down to Yonkers to meet the gals at Outback.  It's not my favorite restaurant, but it is predictable. WPB noted that I was on time for a change, as if I made good time.  Given that I was killing time beforehand, I was glad that I didn't keep our group waiting for me before we could be seated.

Normally, I never mention much about the ladies' loo.  But today, I was very upset, because two of the three stalls were not fit for me to relieve myself.  I could have straddled at one toilet, but I was disgusted by a toilet where the wax ring had failed and water was coming out from the base of the commode.  The other was blocked by a massive wad of toilet paper that wouldn't flush, leaving only one working toilet for all the ladies relief.  (I may write a note to the manager of the place - if I was disgusted, other ladies would be so too.)

One of the ladies never made it to the meetup, so it was the six of us having the dinner special. WPB was across from me, and the lady who sent me the Happy Thanksgiving message (let's call her FFGF for now) was to my left.  And all six of us were having great chats.  I wish we had more time to chat, but dinner was over too quickly. Another thing I will note about Outback is that tonight's service left a lot to be desired.  If I write the complaint letter, I will note that in previous visits (as Mario), we always got prompt service AND that the beverage glasses were always kept filled (with water or other soft drinks).

- - - - - -

On the way home, I took the Sprain Brook Parkway to Route 287.  Looking ahead, I saw that the Department of Transportation had already started the process of closing the road for maintenance - one hour early.  It was fortunate that I could easily made the left turn onto the exit ramp leading me to Route 9A.  I can only imagine what the other people stuck in the traffic jam were saying to themselves.  And I'll have to remember NOT to take this road home tomorrow night after my gaming meetup.



  

 

2 comments:

  1. The local Outback here has gone downhill, too. Dunno if this is a trend for the whole chain, but I now avoid Outback whenever possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a feeling that the chain has quality control problems. When managers can't even ensure that the rest rooms are clean and functional, who knows what is going on in the kitchen where we can't see things?

    ReplyDelete