Thursday, March 30, 2017

Although I have a court date, I have some options.


I used to live near where this Court House used to be.  It was torn down long before I was born. There are no traces of it anymore, save for a street named "Old Courthouse Road". My brother lives even closer to this site now than when we were growing up, and the current Queens County courthouse is closer to the center of the post 1898 boundaries of the county.

- - - - - -

Why do I mention courts?  Well, tomorrow morning will be the first of days that I have to schlep to Lower Manhattan for Jury Duty. And I am disgusted by having to get up by 5:30 am, so that I can be at the court by 8:30 am.  At least, the court will allow me to drive in and park (at their expense) since I live in Westchester County.

I am also disgusted by the court telling me that I can not bring my cell phone with me. So I think I'll burn more of their money by driving in (starting Friday), parking near the court, and keeping my cell phone locked in my trunk. This way, I'll have access to my phone after I'm done with the court. The one drawback will be that I'll be fighting rush hour traffic - but at least, I'll be comfortable while doing so.

- - - - - -

Hopefully, this service will be short. If I get called to serve on a case where I'll spend an excessive amount of time on a case, I'll ask the judge to recuse me - I do need to spend time looking for work, and not having my time taken up with Jury Service. And I will not allow them to place me on a case where I can be sequestered - even if that means I am in contempt of court.

I ramble on and on.  Who knows, this might be a tolerable experience. Until I go there for the first time, I do not know what my feelings will be. But I do know that I expect it to affect my ability to put out a reasonable sized blog entry on a regular basis.











No comments:

Post a Comment