Thursday, February 16, 2017

Seeing friends before the snow shuts us in.


Today was the last day before the upcoming near blizzard, so I made the most of it in Marian Mode.  There were only two things I had planned to do today, and if I knew in advance that I could run an errand as Mario, I would have postponed a visit to YGN until after the snow.

- - - - - -

Last night was GFJ's birthday. And I totally forgot about it yesterday - even though I had mailed her a birthday card the day before, even though her birthday present sits unwrapped on my sofa, and even though another birthday card was sitting upon my desk. So when I realized that I missed wishing her a "Happy Birthday" on the date, I sent her a message saying: "Mea Culpa. Mea Culpa. Mea Maxima Culpa."  (Anyone familiar with church Latin will get that reference.) 

Around 10:30 am, I called the cell phone repair shop and they told me that the replacement had not yet arrived, and that I shouldn't expect the phone back until next week.  If I had known I'd receive a call around 1:00 pm that the phone was ready, I'd have rearranged my schedule so that I could have the phone in hand before tomorrow's snow storm. Instead, I proceeded on schedule to see YGN around 4:00 pm. 

Just before I left for YGN's house, I received an email from the school offering the PMP certification course.

Due to unforeseen circumstances, we have to postpone the PMP Exam Prep course, originally scheduled to begin on Feb, 8th. The new course schedule is listed below:

PMP Exam Prep, Course 90314
Wednesday Evenings, 6-9PM
March 1 – May 3, 2017
Of course, I replied to say thanks, and let the gentleman know that this change would not be a problem.  (Do you think I really want to again apply for a grant to take a similar course?  No.  I'll use the approval and the money already applied to this course, and get it over with.) Now to tell Lili that I can't go on a cruise until May.  She won't be happy!

- - - - - -

I arrived at YGN's house about an hour late, but we caught up on things quickly.  Her daughter is now 3 years old, and she can be a terror.  But she's cute!  We discussed issues related to setting up her business in a new location, as well as the PMP course I'll be taking. Unfortunately, time passed all too quickly, and I had to run off to the FFGoW meetup in the heart of White Plains.

- - - - - -

Arriving at the Black Bear Saloon, I was pleased to know that I wasn't the last person to arrive.  While taking off my coat, I noticed that one of the ladies gets around with a foldable white cane used by the visually impaired, and was putting it into her handbag. (Next time that she comes and the weather is bad, I'll offer her a ride to make things easier for her.) There were 5 of us there, and 2 of the ladies were newcomers. 

One of the new ladies and I hit it off immediately, and I had to make sure that ALL my actions were in the range of a cisgender female's actions. But there was a potentially awkward moment (I don't like bringing up that I am transgender unless I'm asked) where these new ladies talked about being widowed, and I joined in. When I was asked about how my husband died, I simply said that my love died of cancer and left it at that.  If I am thought of as a Lesbian, I have no problem with that. I just want to blend in as a woman as much as possible. Later on, when we talked about the difference between how men and women interact with each other, I noted that men had testosterone poisoning - and it brought a smile to the ladies. WPB knows I'm transgender, and I think she enjoyed that comment, as it allowed the ladies to continue on, and yet acknowledge a biological reason for the difference in how men and women think, communicate, and process information.

All too soon, the evening had to end, and I was on my way home by 9:00 pm. I wasn't able to chat with GFJ again until 11:00 pm, but that was OK.  At least, we were able to have a chat before the tomorrow's big snow....












No comments:

Post a Comment