Thursday, February 2, 2017

Marian and her niece go to the museum


The Temple of Dendur.  Once a nice place to visit in Egypt, now in a safer and much more comfortable home in a New York City museum.  And this was what I most wanted to see today on our visit to the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

- - - - - -

Today's plan was simple: Take the subway from the Pelham Parkway section of the Bronx, go down to the 86th street station on the Lexington Avenue line, and walk several blocks over to the Met and meet my niece for a day of art.  But things have a problem of not going according to plan, and today was one of those days!

I had all my alarms set, so that I could get out of the house by 11:00 am. And I was moving
by 9:30 am.  So what could go wrong?  Well, I was rushing a little, and did an incomplete (but adequate) makeup job on my face.  (I usually use a second level of foundation for highlighting sections of my face, with a touch of concealer on the bridge of my nose and under my eyes.)  Although I was out the door on time, I got delayed a few minutes when I picked up breakfast at McDonalds.

Once I reached the Bronx, I was able to park my car within a couple of blocks of the subway station. But the subway was my next problem.  Arriving at the subway station at 12:15 pm, I figured that I'd be able to make it to the Met in 45 minutes and be waiting at the Met as my niece arrived.  This is where things went woefully awry.  The #5 train reached 149th street, and the conductor announced that instead of going down Lexington Avenue, the train would be going down 7th avenue due to switching problems at Grand Central.  AARGH!  At this time, my niece texted me and told me she was going to be 30-45 minutes late.  No problem, I figured.  I could go to Times Square and take the shuttle over to Grand Central.

Reaching Times Square, I found out that traffic in both directions on the #4, #5, and #6 lines was halted, and that the Met was unreachable using East Side mass transit.  (Too bad that I didn't think of the new Second Avenue line at this point.)  So I texted my niece again, and asked her to meet me at Grand Central.  We both arrived there at roughly the same time (she was on the shuttle after mine), and decided to take a cab to the Met.  But first, it was a trip to the loo - where this T-Gal was able to show her niece a clean place to relieve herself when in Grand Central. And then it was upstairs to take a cab....

- - - - - -

We probably made it to the museum around 2:30 pm, which was not bad considering all the delays we had to deal with.  And we started in the American Furniture exhibition, where we saw some beautiful items, including the Stickley pieces below:







Although I don't own any true Stickley, I own modern pieces of furniture in this style.  My niece asked me to photograph this item:


Even though it would work in a home decorated in the Federal or American Empire styles, doesn't it look inviting and comfortable?

And then we saw a Frank Lloyd Wright living room.  I've always said that Wright was much more of an artist than an architect.  His work is beautiful, but is not always practical or comfortable. And to me, practicality and comfort is as much a part of a great work as beauty. Wright often fails when his work is meant to be comfortable or practical.



By this point, my niece was truly impressed by American craftsmanship,  And I knew that this was the perfect museum for us to visit today.

- - - - - -

After a brief stop for lunch (mine), we went through a series of galleries until we reached the Egyptian section, where I captured the images below:

 




 























And then we reached the Temple of Dendur, where I asked my niece to take the following picture of me: 


My niece is perfectly comfortable with me being transgender, but knows that the rest of the family is likely to not be able to deal with this part of me.  So this will be our secret.

- - - - - -

Eventually, 5:00 pm came and the museum started ushering people out of the building.  Instead of leaving each other at Lexington Avenue, we walked over to Second Avenue where we took the train to Times Square and went our separate ways.  The train ride home was a pain in the butt, as I had to change trains twice - and each time there was a significant delay. I didn't make it to my car until at least 8:15 pm, and by then, I couldn't wait to get home and get to sleep.

It was a great day, and I hope to be able to have more days like this with my niece.  She's a great "kid" and I'm rooting for her to succeed in her life - be it with her boyfriend in Britain, or in America on her own.











2 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking me along on your outing via your vivid prose. Your posting was a reminder of the opportunities of living in a major metropolitan area (the museums, etc.) and the obstacles that are also part of the fabric of big city living. Thanks, Marian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kati -

      This is why I've chosen the diary form of blog. It provides the discipline that causes me to generate a daily entry. and because the items are fresh, I don't miss any of the salient details. (I'll admit that I edit my day in the way Steinbeck did - omitting details that didn't contribute to the tale.)

      Big cities have both benefits and liabilities. And I wouldn't be caught dead living away from one.

      M

      Delete