Wednesday, February 1, 2017

A new phone that I wish I didn't need


A new phone, and I'm $400 in hock.  Given the opportunity to pay for this phone over 24 payments and keep my unlimited data, it's worth the extra $280 to keep a grandfathered Verizon unlimited data plan.

- - - - - -

I only had one required task on today's docket, and that required for me to be en-homme. It was a visit to the Department of Labor to review my unemployment status and to offer any assistance that they can provide to help me find work. There was also an optional task I wanted to take care of - buying a new phone. 

Unfortunately, last night's storm continued into today, and the heavens had opened up before my 3:00 pm appointment. So I ran to my car, and scooted off to Peekskill to take care of my first task. In many ways, I'm glad that I had to be en-homme today, as my feminine wardrobe still does not include adequate rain boots. 

When I parked at the office, I attempted to use the parking meter in the pouring rain. The meter told me that I had until 4:30 pm, so I ran indoors before I was drenched.  After about 20 minutes of waiting, I saw the councilor du jour, and spent a few minutes chatting with her. Once done, I went back to my car and was surprised - the meter did not record my payment, and as a result, didn't credit me for the time I thought I'd bought.  If it weren't for the downpour, I might have gotten a parking ticket.  Instead, I saved a couple of dollars.

- - - - - -

Next, it was off to Verizon to buy a new phone.  The last time I attempted to do this, the sales staff got lost after I told them what I wanted to do.  (In retrospect, I think they were trying to find a box of ALL the accessories they could sell me - but I didn't know this on my first visit and like last time, the salesman didn't tell me what he was doing while I cooled my heels on the sales floor.) It took forever to transfer service to my new phone, in part, because of how data and apps have to be moved from one device to another. Unlike most people, I have more than a handful of email accounts linked to my phone. So I didn't bother to have every account connected by the salesman.  Instead, I chose to have my main account migrated, and for me to take care of the rest while in the car. What I didn't know was that the new phone uses a USB-C connector, and that makes virtually ALL my old USB-B connectors useless. This added more to my "ramp up" cost of switching phones. If I had realized how much this would cost me in time and effort, I might have mostponed this visit to another day.

If you think I could have put off buying a new phone, think again.  Recently, the phone's internal battery has been starting to fail, and it is not a user replaceable part.  This is something I hate on the latest Motorola/Lenovo phones, as I might have been able to extend the life of my old phone for another year. Yet, this gives me the opportunity to upgrade the phone used on a second cell phone line I have, as the retired phone is compatible with my second line's network.  All I have to do is buy a new SIM card for the phone.  (Famous last words!) Now to repair the phone myself and absorb the risk of screwing things up, or to spend $60 more to have someone else do it. It's still better than buying a new phone for the second line....

- - - - - - 

While on the road, I had the chance to talk with GFJ.  It seems as if some paperwork she was expecting was not available to her, and this will cause her a little grief as her divorce proceeds through the legal system. The "Wasband" now wants a reconciliation, while GFJ wants no part of him anymore. It's interesting to "watch" things proceed from the sidelines, but I feel sorry for her in a way. No matter how good a settlement she gets, she will not be as well off had the marriage had gone well.  The Wasband's loss is my gain (for now), so I can't complain about this.

- - - - - -

BTW: Tomorrow, I'll be going into NYC to see my niece while en-femme.  More on that then.



 

3 comments:

  1. I'm fortunate that a flip-phone does everything I need it to...though I understand that YMMV. I simply wouldn't want to spend that kind of money for a phone.

    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mandy -

      I was never going to spend $800 on a phone, as they would have liked me to do at Verizon. Knowing what it costs to make a phone, I've always wondered why the margins are what they are. But now that the carriers are avoiding subsidizing phone purchases, there are fewer and fewer bargains to be found - especially when one has to pay full price to keep a grandfathered plan.

      On Saturday, I took the phone I was previously using to the repair shop for a battery replacement. I have a separate phone that I use for times I'm out as Marian, so that those who know me ONLY as Marian get the voice they expect to hear. This way, I always answer a phone with the correct voice. It is a pain. But when one has to live in two worlds with two different identities, this only makes sense.

      M

      Delete
    2. I guess phones are like contact lenses, low cost per lens, and high price for the finished product. But I gotta have my contacts! LOL!

      Mandy

      Delete