Friday, January 6, 2017

Quickie: The trouble an open wall can cause.

Although I've posted this picture before, it illustrates a minor problem that my brother and I had to deal with. 

In our renovation of the house, the contractor tore out the sheet rock, so that we'd have better access to the plumbing inside the walls.  One problem - It seems that town regulations require us to have a building permit whenever this kind of renovation occurs and that a licensed contractor do the work. But there is an exception to the rule. The town will accept the replacement of the wall, if the work is done by the resident of the house. I could think of several reasons for this kind of exception, but I figure that they don't want to get in the way of a home owner making minor changes to his house.

So, to avoid making this house into a deeper money pit than it is, my brother changed his legal residence to the family homestead, and will be picking up any mail addressed to him there.

- - - - - -

This renovation is costing us more money than expected. And I am very grateful that my brother is handling most of the details. Who'd be thinking that the child in the picture below would be one of two siblings gutting the house they grew up in 50+ years after this picture was taken?
 

As you can see, a lot of things have changed, and a lot of things have stayed the same. But I wonder... What would it have been like had I had been born a cisgender female, and my brother were the only genetic male born to my parents?



  

No comments:

Post a Comment