Thursday, January 19, 2017

Now that GFJ's away, Marian comes out to play.


It's Wednesday, and GFJ has finally left to live her life. She has swimming to go to, followed by a massage, and then to work - where she'll be until late in the evening.  This gave me a free day to get out and about as Marian, and it's not something I usually intend to waste.

- - - - - -

Although the weather was nice for much of the day, there was a part of me that just wanted to stay inside snug and cozy under the covers of my blanket. And that is what I did until almost 4:30 pm, when the UPS driver came to deliver my new wig. When I heard his truck come, I quickly hopped into my trousers and a shirt so that I could sign for the package at the door.

Given that the weather was going to be bad later on, I decided not to take my new wig out of the box for tonight's outing.  Instead, I used my "current" good wig to complete my transformation into Marian, and out the door I went.  As I often do, I drove to Newburgh and decided to go shopping at The Avenue.  And this time, I found some Ponte knit jeans and a sweater that looked nice on me.  So I splurged and bought them, giving me something I could wear when the weather becomes too cold for me to wear either a skirt or a dress.

While at The Avenue, I mentioned that I just got a Jury Duty questionnaire. Considering that I hate the idea of trekking to Lower Manhattan because of the inconveniences of my commute and not getting paid enough to cover my commuting expenses, I am hoping that I am able to get out of service. But if I have to go, I don't want my service to interfere with my upcoming PMP prep course, my upcoming cruise, or my job search.  Yet, if I am called to serve when the weather is cool, DD says that I should go in Marian Mode and have some fun with it.  (It's nice to be able to be open with the gals about being transgender.  Mind you, they see enough "vanilla" cross dressers that they might get confused about my transgender nature.)

- - - - - -

I was the last customer of the day at the store, and the metal gates closed behind me as I left.  On my way home, I returned a call from Patty - and we caught up on what was going on in our lives.  Hopefully, we will find a way for the 4 of us to meet soon.  Next on the way home was a call with GFJ - she won't have to go to her family funeral, as her sister is saying that the in-laws aren't expecting GFJ to drive most of the way to Boston from the Catskills.

When I reached home, I found a message on my machine.  My cousin received a message from another relative that another cousin's wife (the one I wrote about in a prior entry) had finally passed away.  There will be no wake, no funeral, nor any other gathering to commemorate her life.  I can't imagine doing this myself, and I hope it's for reasons that I could understand.  So I picked up a sympathy card from the local store, addressed it, and sent it out post haste.

- - - - - -

On the whole, it was a good day.  But not one I'd want to repeat.




2 comments:

  1. As a starter I tend to bristle when people try to avoid jury duty. It really shows a lack of patriotism and civic duty to try to exempt oneself from participating in the process. From your description of the query that you received I presume it was for Federal Court down at Foley Square. If that is the case you may be able to contact the clerk and ask to be considered for service in the Federal Courthouse in White Plains. If you have a planned vacation, especially if you already have tickets for a cruise, I believe that contacting the clerk and advising of your plans will get you an adjournment. It may be premature since you can send in the questionnaire now and you may not get a call to serve for months.
    In any event, I urge you to do what you can to serve. If you choose to serve as Marian there cannot (by law) and will not (but custom) be any overt discrimination against you. You will be welcomed into the system but like everyone else will have to pass through security so I would avoid wearing an underwire bra.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat -

      I understand where you come from, because I also consider jury duty a civic duty. Given the location of Foley Square, the cost of getting there, the time I'd have to wake up/be out the door to be there on time, and what I have going on for the next few weeks of my life, serving on a Federal Jury in Lower Manhattan would be a hardship for me - especially if called to serve soon.

      At least I would serve. An ex girlfriend of mine did all she could NOT to serve in the Bronx, and was able to successfully avoid service by getting her paperwork lost in the system. She hated using mass transit (it was very inconvenient for her to make the trip across the Bronx to where she'd serve), and could barely walk if she would use buses and subways.

      The one time I did serve locally, they called way too many people for a small court, and I was out in a half day. I wouldn't have minded sitting on a Federal jury IF the court were easy for me to get to AND didn't cost me money to serve there. In this day and age, I wish that our governments would keep issues like this in mind, as I feel that the headaches of serving are the reasons why most people don't want to bother with service.

      M



      Delete