Friday, January 20, 2017

My monthly lunch with the ladies and more.


From the get-go, I knew that today was going to be a busy day.  Not only did I have a lunch meetup with the ladies, but I also had my Thursday volunteering session at the GLBT center and Game Night in Yonkers to go to.  And yet, there were some things that I couldn't have expected for the day.

- - - - - -

Getting up, I knew that I had only a limited amount of time to shower, shave, do my makeup, get dressed, and get out the door. And I squandered a little more time than I planned, getting out of the house a little after noon for a 12:30 pm lunch in White Plains.  When I finally got to the restaurant, I didn't think to look in the downstairs dining room - and wasted a couple more minutes. So, when I finally met the 5 other ladies, they were already placing their lunch orders - and I had to make mine on the fly.

There was a new lady there today, and it seems as if she'll become a regular.  When we gave our introductions, I found out that she lives 10 minutes away.  I wouldn't mind having her as another female friend of Marian's, being seen as just another woman interested in friendship.  As usual, we had a lively conversation, and it ended too soon - all because the parking meters were running out.

- - - - - - 

Sometime during the day, I got a call from GFJ, who told me that her 93 y/o mom had to be taken to the hospital.  The chambers of her heart were starting to beat out of sync.  So she'll be prescribed another type of pill, be told to watch her diet even more closely, and be observed to make sure that the palpitation doesn't happen again.  Of course, this means that our weekend plans may be totally screwed up because of her mom.  But this would give me the ability to catch up on other social engagements that require GFJ not be present.

- - - - - -

Around 3:00 pm, I arrived at the GLBT center, and there wasn't that much work to do. I was given the task of setting up a few calendar entries for their new web site, and was finished well before 4:00 pm. When I asked the director about the other GLBT organization in White Plains, he said that they broke away, in part, because of issues related to transgender people. Given that I never heard of this organization before, I'll bet that they are operating on a worn shoestring, and do not have many members.

When I left the GLBT center, I called Pat.  Unfortunately, she was still suffering with a cols and didn't want to pass it on.  So I decided to mosey to Yonkers via the "scenic route", stopping into the new Barnes and Noble in Eastchester.  Bit having in this building since Borders closed, I was curious to see how the store was remodeled. And I can surely say that this is a relatively unique store.  Not only did it appear to have a small restaurant in the area once used by Borders for a coffee shop, but it had a separate counter where various beers were available. I figure that Barnes and Noble is shifting from a bookstore that coincidentally had a coffee shop to a bar/restaurant that just happens to sell books.

- - - - - -

Once done at the book store, I drove to Panera Bread for dinner, and then to game night.  As usual, I didn't win any games, but I had a good time.  On the way home, I called GFJ to catch up on the day. Her mom was being kept by the hospital for observation, but was not being admitted. (This is another way of sucking even more money from the patient.)  So GFJ will be staying there on Friday, go back to the office on Saturday to catch up on some work, and possibly go back to Connecticut to see her mom again.  If this ends up being the case, I'm not sure of what I'll do to fill up the weekend - but I might end up calling either the "Cat Lady" or RO to see if they have last minute availability.




No comments:

Post a Comment