Friday, January 27, 2017

Chatting with HWA before game night


I had to hunt for a while for a picture of a woman (in this case, Molly Picon) who reminds me of a young HWA, with all the spunk and optimism this woman had (and still has).  And the above picture seems to do just that.

- - - - - -

As I start my blog entries, I often mention how many important things I had on my to-do list for the day.  Although I had a lot of free time I could use, I booked HWA for 2:00 pm, so that I'd have a lot time to chat and still be able to make game night. 

When I got up this morning, I really didn't want to get movingBut I knew I had to be ready in time to meet HWA. As usual, I was a little bit late, as I got distracted by a movie while getting ready to go outside as Marian.  This wasn't an issue, as HWA lives in the next building over to mine, and she had things she could do at home.

Arriving at HWA's place, the first thing I noticed was her haircut.  Her hair was shorter than Molly's above, and could almost be considered mannish had it not been on a cisgender female head and body.  HWA is an artist, and had her work exhibited in local galleries.  So if you were to look at her, you'll usually see her in denim - vest and jeans, with comfortable cotton shirts used for layering. I don't want you to think she's "Butch" - she has been with the same boyfriend for years, and they are truly part of each other's families.

HWA and I ended up chatting about many things over the 4 1/2 hours we were together. As usual, her boyfriend was "up North" being there for an ailing friend. So we had all the time in the world for ourselves to chat.  And, as expected, some of our chat involved our new president and the parallels with Central Europe in the 1930's.  Sadly, the Jewish Experience of her generation gives her good cause to worry, as she was raised to be hyper vigilant when it comes to bombastic politicians.

- - - - - -

Around 7:00 pm, I had to leave for Yonkers.  So I went back to my apartment and grabbed my heavy coat before trekking down South.  It was very nice playing a couple of games with the two other ladies there.  But the conversation afterwards was even more rewarding, as the three of us showed interest in visiting some of the restaurants and bars I've wanted to visit in NYC.  I can imagine a "Girl's Night Out" with these two ladies, and I hope it happens soon!

- - - - -

On the way home, I chatted with both Lili and GFJ.  Nothing important was covered in our online chat.  Instead, it was nice to have someone to talk to on the way home. And it was a nice way to end a long day....      

No comments:

Post a Comment