Thursday, January 26, 2017

Back in the city again


Today, I had two things on the docket: (1) Visiting my dad on Long Island, and (2) Attending the monthly chapter meeting of the PMI-NYC in Manhattan. Although the weather was a little dreary, it was a perfect day to take care of both things.  I had no scheduling issues, save for getting out of the house on time.  So I expected to have a smooth time of it.

- - - - - -

As usual, I got out of the house a bit later than I planned on doing.  Since this was going to be a day completely spent en-homme, I figured that I might as well break out my blue blazer for the PMI meeting and go a little dressier than usual.

It was almost 1:00 pm by the time I left the apartment, and it was off to Long Island. This was the smoothest trip to see my dad in a long time, maybe it was because I hit traffic right. Who knows?  But I encountered a bit of a delay when trying to park at the nursing home, as the valet parking was way overtaxed by the people who were coming and going. So, I ended up parking a couple of short blocks away from the nursing home.

When I finally caught up with my dad, we had one of our longer chats, and I could have kept at it for another hour the way were going, save that I had to make it to Astoria by 4:45 pm in order to make it to the PMI meeting on time.  So, around 3:45 or so, I left my dad, and stopped by the family homestead to check on the progress of work going on there. My brother has been doing a good job in keeping track of the details, so I have no complaints right now.  I took the mail from the mailbox inside, and then called my brother to let him know where I left them before leaving the house.

- - - - - -

Getting to Astoria was much easier than usual, and I made it to a parking spot by 4:45 pm. My brother called me as I was about to get on the train, telling me that he might have a renter for the place as soon as it is ready.  I had to cut him short, as I had to get on the subway, but would make sure to call him when I got back to the car.

At this point, getting to the PMI meeting was more of an anticlimactic moment, as I felt that I already accomplished a lot for the day.  Yet, I had a few good chats during the networking session. Then, I enjoyed the presentation given by the keynote speaker. All too soon, it was time to go home, so I made my way back to my car and to make my calls when there.

- - - - - -

My brother and I chatted for the third time for the day when I called him.  It seems like the daughter of one of his coworkers is looking for a place to rent, and she is interested in renting our place.  I'm not completely happy with this, as she's the daughter of one of my brother's coworkers - even though he is not in my brother's chain of command. But, since there is no direct link between my brother and this lady's dad, I can live with this choice of tenant.

Next, it was a short call to Lili, and she now wants to have me meet her boyfriend. I'm not ready for that in either gender presentation. I plan to tell Lili that I will either meet with this man as Mario or Marian, but never switch around him.

Then came my phone call with GFJ. It seems as if she has another stress fracture in the bones of her right foot, and will be in a "boot" for another 5 weeks.  AARGH!  There goes any outdoor winter activities for her.  I feel for her, as she has been plagued with problems for over a  year now, and I know she misses all the things she's grown to love doing outdoors.  Hopefully, the boot will come off the next time she visits her foot doctor.







No comments:

Post a Comment