Saturday, December 3, 2016

Writing entries ahead of time


There are times, such as long weekends and occasional vacations, that I post entries that I may have written days, weeks, or even months beforehand. It's not an ideal situation, but it does provide a break from the daily narrative.  But when I write one of these entries, I always have to edit check it, so that things that were true at the time I wrote the entry are either still true, or noted as having changed since the entry was written.

- - - - - -

Sometimes, a pre-written entry is a catch-all/catch-up entry, allowing me to update the status of individuals in my narrative without spending time on them.  Other times, the entry is a thought piece which allows me to explore an issue of potential concern to the TG community.  And then, at times, I simply write about a random subject - just because I find it interesting.

One of the things I've gained from this experience of blogging is a discipline which I may be able to take to other parts of my life.  Developing a routine of doing something every day, whether I want to or not, has proven useful to me - especially during my period of unemployment.  It would be all too easy to get too lazy, and let one of the last of my "daily" activities become an "occasional" activity.

- - - - - -

Writing entries ahead of time forces me to think about how to make an idea interesting - even if I have touched on a topic several times before. For example, unemployment keeps raising its ugly head.  But there is only so much I can mention it, before it gets boring.  I can say the same thing about Lili's travails most of the time. So I've leaned on a daily narrative, in order to preserve a form of freshness that one can only get by not looking ahead into the future, or regurgitating the past.

The biggest benefit to entries like this one is simple - it forces me to think out of the box for a while. And this allows me to take a new perspective when I get back to writing about my daily events....



No comments:

Post a Comment