Saturday, December 10, 2016

Sometimes, one has to look at the past to have faith in the present.




What would the world have been like if Dewey beat Truman?  Well, I'm surprised that Trump is contesting the recounts in 3 states he already won.  Could there be a reason for concern? If so, it'd be nice to see the election thrown into the house - we wouldn't have much to lose anymore.

- - - - - -

I opened up with this thought, as I used to worry about being unemployed.  Eight years ago, it would have been a financial disaster for me.  Today, it's a hardship that can be lived with if necessary.  But it does allow me to make the time to be with my friends, one of which I scheduled to see today - YGN.

YGN and I haven't been able to get together since February, when I started work with the former communications firm.So it was nice to meet up with her before going to my evening Chinese dinner with the gals. We chatted about life in general, and it was nice to see her two year old daughter in her "terrible twos". She told me of issues regarding the current location of her business, and where it will be moving to at the end of the month. And I said that I'll visit her in the new store, something she'll be running on her own.

- - - - - -

Once done with YGN, I drove over to the meetup at the Chinese restaurant.  I wish I had gotten there earlier, as we were tightly squeezed around a single table, and I'd have liked to be close to one woman I enjoy talking with. But I was able to sit next to the woman who wished me a Happy Thanksgiving via OK Cupid. 

You might be asking, what's going on here?  Well, WPB knows that I'm transgender and is very comfortable having me in the group. I've made a very conscious effort to blend in as a woman, and others in the group are also comfortable with my presence.  My en-femme OK Cupid profile has the same image that I use for my image on Meetup.com - so someone can tie the two identities together, with Marian the transgender woman in Meetup.com and Marian the bi-gender person in OK Cupid.  The other woman has connected the two identities, and said hello via OK Cupid.

Sitting next to this other woman tonight, I didn't say anything.  I didn't expect anything to be said about our online communication.  I was there as Marian the transgender woman, and I was accepted as Marian.  This was a blessing, as several women at dinner started chatting about several men on the singles circuit that they mutually know.  The focus of this part of our conversation was that of the quality of the average man left in their dating pool. Men who look like they are in good health will either be picked up quickly if they have good personalities.  But if these men are single for too long, women wonder what's wrong with the individual.  The third type is the man who doesn't look healthy - the women don't want to get into a relationship where they will need to play nursemaid, as they might need one soon themselves.

- - - - - -

All too soon, dinner had to end, and I had to go home. I'd have liked to stay a little longer with the ladies, but I was feeling a little tired and wanted to go home and rest.  On the way home, I picked up a gift for my brother and sister in law at Bed, Bath and Beyond.  Hopefully, they won't mind me not spending much on the gift. But I still have to watch my money until I find work again....








No comments:

Post a Comment