Tuesday, December 13, 2016

I'm already thinking about New Years Eve


I only had one thing planned for today - the monthly meeting of Arts Westchester (AW) volunteers. Since I volunteer en-femme, this gave me the opportunity to do some shopping and try on some merchandise that I'd never do while en-homme. 

This month's AW meeting was short, as there were few activities that needed volunteers this month. By the time the last volunteer arrived, the meeting was already over. Instead of being in a meeting until 4:00 pm, I was out by 2:45 pm, and had to ask - now what do I do?  So I ended up going to Paramus to look at dresses at both Catherine's and at The Avenue.

- - - - - -

There were no dresses that I wanted to buy at Catherine's.  Since I was the only customer in the store, the manager took the time to help me find a few items - including a dress that I knew was out of stock, and that was no longer in any store.  We chatted a bit, and she got to tell me about her brother. (No, this was not unprompted. A family friend came to the store to hand her flowers and asked about her brother.) Her brother had dealt with cancer, and had a double whammy that killed him.  After dealing with skin cancer, they did an MRI and found a blurry spot near his pancreas.  Within a few months, he was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer, and was buried shortly thereafter.  Luckily, a couple of ladies came to the cash register, and it gave her the opportunity to change the subject, and me an opportunity to pack up and leave.

Next, it was off to The Avenue, where I tried on the dress above.  At $20, I almost bought the dress.  But I have another dress I could just as easily wear on New Year's Eve.


Since both dresses are the types one would wear when one wants to glam it up a little, I decided to pass on the other dress for now, and wear this one for New Year's Eve - if GFJ is on vacation in Cancun with her sons for the holidays.  I still have the option of buying the first dress, but it won't last for long. So f I want it, I'll have it shipped to Newburgh, and pick it up on one of my pre-holiday visits.

At this point, I wasn't in the mood to do much more, and headed home.  As a lark, I decided to visit The Avenue in Nanuet, and decided to buy GFJ a third gift - a pair of gloves with finger pads for cell phone use.  This will be perfect for GFJ, as she's always sending stuff to me via Facebook.

- - - - - -

Once I got home, I picked up the extra vacuum sealer I have as a result of cleaning out my Dad's house and gave it to HWA.  I chatted with her and her boyfriend before again going out for a drive.  The purpose for the drive was to chat with my brother in private while I was still in Marian mode. And chat we did.  Once done with my brother, it was time to call GFJ. And we were on the phone for another 45 minutes.

At this point, I was back home, and wanted to pick up some foodstuffs. So I went inside the Foodtown and did my march around the aisles. While there, one of the long time employees struck up a conversation, and I chatted with him for a while in my best Marian voice.  (I wonder if he noticed anything out of the ordinary with my voice.) There was no way that I was going to say that I know him from the old A&P, so I had to make sure that my feminine presentation stayed on target. Hopefully, neither of the two long term employees recognized me. But if they did, I didn't notice any signs of it - and that's what's important to me.







No comments:

Post a Comment