Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Cyber Monday, and I hate watching my money


Cyber Monday, and I hate being careful with my money.  At several online stores, they have raised their usual discounts from 30% to 50% for one day only.  This means that I can get several nice dresses, tops, and skirts for a price I can easily afford.  However, this spending gets in the way of some other items I want to buy: (1) a new wig, and (2) a new pair of breast forms.

When I doubt, I tend to defer spending unless I need to spend money now, or if the money to be spent doesn't mean that much. Today, I have to make a decision on what I plan to buy for GFJ's Xmas present, as well as a gift for Lili.  For the most part, I'm tired of the yearly ceremonial exchange of gifts.  If I need something, I can buy it myself - and not be obligated to others.  Is this too much to ask?  It's not that I am against gift giving.  But I don't want others spending money on me, expecting reciprocity, when I need to spend money elsewhere - on things I really need.

It seems like several things I want to buy for myself cost between $250 and $350.  The breast forms I use are wearing out, and I could use new ones, like the pair below:


I could also go for a new wig, like the one below:


And it would also be nice to have a home laser kit like the one below:

If I were still working, all three would have jumped into my shopping cart, and I'd be using them already.  Sadly, this is not the case.  Of the three, I'm likely to go for the wig, as I can get that at a discount that won't be available until this time next year.

- - - - - -

There were two things on my docket for today, and I only wanted to do one of them.  I had a choice between seeing WDJ and going to to night's Hudson Valley Poly Group meeting. And seeing WDJ won out.  We first had a bite to eat at Panera Bread (actually, I ate - WDJ wasn't in the mood to eat, but was comfortable keeping me company.)  And then, we went to The Avenue, where she got the chance to see DD (and chat about her to be ex husband), while I proceeded to buy at least one gift for GFJ (a sweater, and a pendant that I might keep for myself) and a pair of pumps for me. Newburgh doesn't often carry size 13-W shoes, and even more rare to have them on sale - so I broke down and bought a new pair for less than the price I could have a heel replaced on the pair I had in my car.

Once we were done at The Avenue, it was off to Catherine's in Poughkeepsie.  As I expected, I didn't see any dresses worth buying.  I figure that if I'm going to buy a dress I like from that chain, I might end up going to Orange, CT or to Carle Place, NY.  Either way, it will be a long drive to look at clothes which might not be in stock.  But that drive was not on my schedule for the day.

By the time we were done in Poughkeepsie, it was time to go home.  So I dropped off WDJ at her house, and am hoping that all goes well for her over the next few months.  (I'll see her before then.  She just has a lot on her plate right now that I don't want to detail here.)  My next stop was at the Jefferson Valley Mall, where Ulta Beauty has just opened a new outlet. And I was able to pick up a new container of my favorite makeup - Dermablend.  (Patty hates the stuff, but it does cover up a lot of skin imperfections. So I use it before I go out without fail.)

- - - - - -

On other matters....

Right now, I have to take care of Xmas gifts for the following people:
  1. Dad (A pair of sweats - size to be determined by brother)
  2. Brother and Sister in Law (Single Serve Coffee Cartridges.)
  3. GFJ (Multiple Gifts)
  4. Lili (Single Gift, probably an article of clothing.)
  5. Cleaning Lady (Probably a box of chocolates and an extra $50)
  6. Yonkers Game Host/Hostess' children (inexpensive games)
  7. Yonkers Game Friends (They usually give me something, so I will return the favor.)
Fortunately, I can take care of everything quickly if I need to do it.  But I'll do so over the next couple of weeks, and have my shopping taken care of early enough to go back to shopping for myself.












No comments:

Post a Comment