Thursday, December 29, 2016

Christmas - A post a little ahead of my usual schedule.


Christmas. A great holiday for many of us.  And I'm posting this entry about Christmas a little ahead of time, so that my New Year's post can come out on New Year's.  Don't worry, I'll play catch up on the days between Christmas and New Years Day, as well as cover some events in posts published in the new year.

- - - - - -

My plans for the day were simple - get down to Long Island, have dinner with my brother (and family), then take food over to my Dad in the Nursing Home, so that he could celebrate the holiday with us.  GFJ would be celebrating the holiday with her family, so I wasn't concerned about her schedule until her son returned home later in the week.


It's hard to believe that the first email I received today was from the Cat Lady.  Wouldn't you say that this note said nothing:

Survived present unwrapping with a two year old 😁

But it said a lot in its own way, given that it was sent on Christmas day

- - - - - -

As usual, I didn't get moving when I planned to.  Instead of getting out of the house by noon, I didn't leave the house until 1:45 PM.  At least, I was on the road when my brother called to figure out where I was. And I was glad to tell him that I was at the Throggs Neck Bridge - even though I hadn't yet reached the toll plaza.

I got to my brother's place a little before 3:00 pm, and we went to see my dad a little before 4:30 pm.  It's strange seeing a nursing home at Christmas.  Everyone was there to see their family members on the holiday, and the place was crowded enough to have all available seats occupied. Of course, I could have used one of these seats when I got there, as my dad needed to be helped to the bathroom as soon as we arrived and it took about a half hour before he was ready to be seen in public.  We talked longer than planned, and I couldn't wait to get out of the nursing home and get back to my brother's place to relax before going home.

Eventually, we got back to my brother's place and watched some TV before I left for home.  Since RO said to call her on my way home, I tried doing so - but she wasn't home.  I guess her plans kept her away from home longer than she had expected.  Just as well - I'd rather see her in Marian mode than in Mario mode.

- - - - - -

One thing of note: This was the first year that my father didn't have a gift to give us - and I didn't miss it.  He lived on a fixed income, and I know it was hard for him to save the money he gave to both me and my brother. Now that he has no income of his own, I am actually more comfortable with things (in this one way), as I know that I can give him things he really needs instead of things I only think he may want (and would eventually end up in my home).




















No comments:

Post a Comment