Wednesday, November 2, 2016

WDJ and a Co-Op board meeting


This is how I went out today to see WDJ.  Even though I'm not a fan of handkerchief hemlines, I like this dress. There is something about the color scheme that works well for me when one sees the dress in person.

- - - - - -

When I woke up, I didn't realize that my breakfast with Maria was scheduled for tomorrow and not for today.  As a result, I hopped out of bed when the first alarm rang, and proceeded to get shaved, showered, made up and dressed to go out.  Realizing that Maria's breakfast was for tomorrow, I relaxed, and took my time getting to WDJ's place.

Over lunch, WDJ and I talked of many things (actually, she did most of the talking), regarding her life.  Unless she gives me the OK, I won't touch on anything sensitive. I told her of the Whine and Dine meetup being held next week, and she wished she could be there for it.  Hopefully, she will be able to attend Whine and Dine meetups when she is next in town.

All too soon, it was time to go, and I dropper WDJ off at her house. Afterwards, I went to Curvy Consignments Plus to see if there was anything I was interested in. Although there was a dress there that I liked, but didn't buy on a prior visit, I didn't see much of interest. There were a few blazers there that I tried on, none of them really looked good on me.  So I passed on them this visit. At this point, I knew that I had to go home and get ready for the co-op board meeting being held later in the evening.

- - - - - -

Arriving home, I had to revert to Mario mode from Marian mode.  This always depresses me. Then, I had to get 3 loads of laundry done before the board meeting.  So, I started two loads that had to go into the dryer, and put a third load in while the other two loads were drying.  Of course, my brother had to call me when I wanted to get showered (to remove any traces of the perfume I wear as Marian) and dressed as Mario. And we were on the phone for the better part of an hour, talking about our Dad, the house, and my cousin.  I'm not sure if he ever met her, but I know I have - several times when I was a child, and then once when she got married.  Hopefully, my brother and I will be able to fit in a meeting with her and her husband before Holiday season.

All too soon, it was time to get my brother off the phone, and me into the shower.  Luckily, changing from Marian into Mario takes much less effort than going from Mario to Marian. So I was able to unload the dryers, hang the damp shirts, shower, dress (as Mario), and get out to the board meeting just a few minutes late.  (The lawyer arrived after me, as Con-Ed was doing the "Dig, we must" routine on the one road to the Library where our yearly public meetings are held. Unlike most board meetings, tonight's special meeting was open to our shareholders, allowing them to ask questions of our lawyer.  The idea for this meeting is simple.  We wanted to give the shareholders a forum where they could ask questions regarding their proprietary leases and better understand their rights and responsibilities as shareholders in our co-op. (It is also designed to give the co-op board some cover, because we wanted to let shareholders understand why the board is prohibited from doing certain things which could improve life in the co-op.)

In tonight's meeting, the lawyer explained the importance of the proprietary lease, and the limits of what the co-op board can do.  Additionally, he covered issues surrounding the lease, not covering any specifics of what our board is addressing, but covering generalities using examples from his experience with other co-op boards and their shareholders. One of these examples covers  much of the same territory as a problem our board is facing, and I intend to discuss this at the next private board meeting.

While at the meeting, I got a text from my complaining neighbor in the next building.  I've told her that if she feels threatened by her upstairs neighbor, that she should call the police and document the event to our managing agent. This neighbor refuses to do so, having resigned herself to the idea that nothing is going to happen as a result of the complaints. However, by building a record of the chronic problem, she could force "someone" to take action - and even use legal tools to prevent another neighbor from harassing her any longer. Since this takes time, effort, and documentation, it is not an immediate solution. And as a result, she has lost hope for change.

- - - - - -

I've said in other posts that it takes a certain kind of person to be comfortable living in a co-op.  I'm comfortable, as I've learned how to deal with neighbors. But I feel a little sorry for those who are not comfortable, as it's much harder to leave a co-op than a rental.




  








No comments:

Post a Comment