Monday, November 21, 2016

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli


"Leave the Gun. Take the Cannoli."

Sometimes, the best of advice tells you to do something that isn't obvious.  In the above scene from The Godfather, the advice is meant to remind the young mobster about the nature of his business - little things are important, and some things should not be wasted.

- - - - - - -

I have no intention of saying anything of much importance today. Instead, little things are what I'd like to talk about.  For example, WDJ is home again. This means that the two of us will be getting together more often.  I keep having things get in the way of seeing YGN, but I'm hoping we can get together towards the end of the week. And it looks like I'll be starting to do my volunteer work with the three organizations mentioned in earlier posts.

My brother and I have finally decided on lighting fixtures for the kitchen at the family homestead.  We needed someone other than the two of us to give us ideas. And I'm glad that my brother decided to ask for some advice at another store, as if we had gone for what he proposed, we'd have wasted a lot of money. The last thing I want to do is let this house get in the way of a relationship, so I'm letting him drive things - even though he is a mediocre project manager. He doesn't have the mindset for scheduling things, or to take care of low priority things in "slack" time.  (He is very good at minding tiny details, so he's good at what he does best - working with numbers.)

- - - - - -

Tonight, GFJ and I went out to have a bite to eat with some of her friends.  In our chat, we got to talking about 401k's and IRA's, and one fellow was complaining about the "complexity" of moving money from one investment vehicle at one firm to a different investment vehicle at another firm.  Two of us (both not certified financial experts or brokers) had much more knowledge than this fellow about money.  The other person, a lady I have met once before, had picked up a lot of knowledge, having worked in some capacity at a brokerage firm.

I wouldn't mind eating with people from this group again.  However, now that I know that someone from the Whine and Dine group goes to some meetups that GFJ goes to, I have to be careful not to attend when this person attends.  I don't want problems from my existence as Marian to bleed over into Mario's life.

- - - - - -

I owe YGM a call.  I'd like to meet again before the holidays.  Hopefully, she'll have some free time available. Once her husband ends his employment in the Northeast, I expect that they will be moving Down South.  Hopefully, we'll be able to maintian contact with each other after she has left the region

While I'm thinking of people in Connecticut,.I'm planning on writing my cousin and seeing when she'd be available for me to visit.  Of course, this would mean that Mario would be the one traveling halfway to Boston.  But maybe I could combine this visit with a stop to see an ex-girlfriend and her husband that I haven't seen in over 25 years.

- - - - - -

And lastly, today is the 20th anniversary of the passing of my wife. I will always be grateful that she was in my life. But I wish she had gotten to see me in Marian mode, so that I'd have an idea of whether she would have accepted this part of me.  She was a special woman, but I think we all say things like that about the people we love. And as soon as I'm done with this post, I'll likely have an alcoholic drink in her memory.

Until tomorrow....




No comments:

Post a Comment