Thursday, October 27, 2016

Two days en-homme


Would Cary Grant still be seen as much of a dapper gentleman, had he retained the name of Archibald Leech?   I don't think so.  But this gentleman said that playing "Cary Grant" was the most challenging role he ever played.  And in a way, the same can be said for any trans-woman who has to impersonate a male for much of her life.

- - - - - -

On Tuesday, both GFJ and I had our appointments for the day.  I saw my ex-boss for lunch on the other side of the Hudson, while GFJ had a divorce support group to attend.  There was no way we'd be able to stay in bed all day, and that was the one thing we wanted to do most.

I met my ex-boss at noon, and the two of us ended up discussing politics for the better part of two hours.  Neither of us want to see Trump elected, and we fear what might happen it America made the mistake of electing him.  Sadly, Hillary is the lesser of two evils this year, as both of us were Bernie supporters. It's also sad when a non-Jew can make better comparisons with Germany during the rise of Hitler than he could, as both of us see the existential threat this man is to the American way of life. When Trump is willing to destroy America's faith in the ballot box if he loses the election, it means that a lot of crazy people will feel that they have permission to set things straight.  Even the most hard line Republicans see this threat as something that endangers the republic as we know it....

After lunch, I drove home and got ready for the co-op board meeting.  Again, I can't say what we discussed at the meeting.  But I can say that one of my concerns have been addressed, and that action will be taken on an issue that needed to be addressed. 

During the meeting, Lili tried to reach me.  She wouldn't say for what.  I told her that I was in the meeting, and asked her to tell me what was going on.

Me: In co-op board meeting. Ttyl 7:31 PM
Me: Can't talk.... 7:32 PM

Lili  Call Mark @ 8005551212   7:33 PM
Me: Can't do so until after 9. What's up? 7:34 PM
Me: Won't call unless I know what is going on. 7:52 PM

--- two hour gap here ---
Lili  If I ask u to call someone is obviously for a good reason 9:48 PM


She called shortly after I got home and told me that Mark (her tenant) works in a place that is hiring, and that he may be able to help me.  That's all well and good, but he strikes me as a person I don't want to get to know too well.  Additionally, I don't want for him to know me as anyone other than Marian.  So this will need to be approached carefully - and I won't call him until sometime on Wednesday.
 
- - - - - -

Wednesday came, and I had two things on my agenda: Visiting my Dad, and Attending a PMI meeting in New York City.  I didn't get out of the house until a little after 1:00 pm, and it took me an hour and a half to reach the nursing home. Traffic at certain choke points was horrible, and I regretted each of the choices I made to bypass the jams. But once I was able to travel Eastbound on the Long Island Expressway, things cleared up and I was able to relax a little before getting to see my Dad.

As expected, I only spent a half hour with my dad.  Afterwards, I visited the family homestead to see what my brother and nephew have done with the house so far this week. 




As you can see, the bathroom has been gutted.  This is work that was done by our contractor.  What you can't see is the work my brother and nephew are doing underneath, replacing things that have "rusted" away, and making sure that each and every plumbing fixture is in good shape before we start putting things back together.

I couldn't stay long at the house.  Not only did I have to get into New York City.  But I had a very pressing need to go to the bathroom, and I couldn't use this one the way it is.  So it was off to the local Starbucks, and then into Astoria to take the subway.  Strangely enough, I made it to the PMI meeting on time.  But it almost wasn't worth going there.  I did learn one thing - there are quite a few people trying to get into project management, and I have a lot more competition than I would like in this field.

When the PMI meeting was almost over, I bailed out early, made it back to my car, and then onward to home.  On the way, I found that my car and phone couldn't sync with each other, and had to resync them.  One problem - I lost all my contacts, and the phone book in the car's memory didn't reflect that of my phone.  Sooner or later, I'll have to check this out.  But for now, I can work around the problem when it comes to my speed dial settings, and still be able to reach GFJ, Lili, Vicki, and others.

  


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment