Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Long Island - Again.


As you can see from the photo above, work is being done at the family homestead.  New tiles have been laid in the kitchen, and we're slowly seeing the signs of what the house will  look like when we're finished renovating it.

Today was a day that I stayed en-homme, as I had to go to the auto dealership for my car's yearly NYS safety inspection. I was very surprised to find that my car passed with flying colors and didn't need any other service. And that included the brake job I expected I'd need after 60k miles on both front and rear brakes.

When I was done with the car, it was off to meet Lili at Panera Bread.  The place was crowded, so we ended up going to Moe's Southwest Grill. This was a mistake we'll never make again, as their version of Mexican ends up with dishes that have muddy flavors from fresh food.  Why does this happen?  Simple, too many choices, and many of them being counter productive to having a tasty meal. How would I describe the food itself?  Fresh, but....  In German, there are two closely related words for eating.  "Essen" is something humans do at a table.  "Fressen" is something animals do at a troth. Although the ingredients at Moe's is tasty, the combinations lend themselves more to "Fressen" than "Essen."

About 1:30 pm or so, Lili and I went our separate ways.  I drove home to pick up my watch, and then drove to Long Island - where I hit the usual traffic jams on the way to see my dad. I reached my dad a little after 4:00 pm, and stayed with him until a little before 5:00 pm.  Not having seen him in a month, I can see the gradual decline of his cognitive capability, and see that he's on his downhill slope.  This saddens me, and there's nothing I can do but be there while it happens.

A little after 5:15 pm, I reached the family homestead, and I met the fellows who have been renovating the place.  It was good to be able to see them before they left for the day.  And it was even better when I saw how much work they have gotten done since they started work.  I only wish I could have taken pictures on each day I was there over the past few months, so that I could have a record of all the changes taking place.

My brother arrived, and we went out looking for lighting fixtures. The store we wanted to go to closed at 6:00 pm.  And the other store we went to had the most gaudy items for sale.  It looked like we weren't going to settle on lighting fixtures for the kitchen tonight - and we didn't do so.  But we did have a chance to talk, and that was well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment