Thursday, October 13, 2016

Lili and Patty - a great contrast in people


I hated the idea of getting up this morning.  There was no slack in my schedule, as I had to get showered and dressed (en-femme) by 6:30 am or so, in order to make it to Lili's in time to get her to the hospital for her Endoscopy.  With only 3 hours of sleep, I was wondering how I could stay awake long enough to get her home safely, and be able to nap before seeing Patty later in the day.

- - - - - -

Of course, things didn't work out as expected.  Things conspired to make me late for everything.  Lili called me twice while I was doing my makeup, causing me to lose a few minutes. And once I got out and into my car, the low air pressure light came on, forcing me to take another few minutes out to fill up one tire. I got into a traffic jam in a road that I've never seen go into a crawl, save for the aftermath of a hurricane, when gas lines fouled up traffic. And later on, the rising sun caused traffic to slow to a crawl, as Lili and I were making our way to the hospital. Delay, Delay, Delay - that seemed like the theme for the morning. 

At least the hospital was mildly accommodating for Lili's needs, when we called them to tell them we'd be 20 minutes late.  Considering that doctors usually schedule several patients for the same procedure type, stacking them up for minor scans, I wasn't worried.  But I knew that I'd be pissed if I were the doctor, and Lili was his last patient for the morning. So I put the pedal to the metal, and flew along back roads to shave minutes off our delay. Lili was upset at me for how fast I was going, and I politely told her to relax.  And I was glad she had no choice in the affair, as I got her to the hospital exactly when she said she'd arrive....

By the time Lili's procedure was done, they found (and removed) 3 polyps (which were being sent off for a biopsy), and I finished half of a cup of tea.  We were out of the hospital by 9:15 am - not bad, when you think about it.  But then, it was a drive home - where we got lost in the back roads, because Lili told me to use a road I am unfamiliar with, and I made a wrong turn.  As a result, we got to the diner later than expected, and Lili ate more than expected.

Before leaving the diner, Lili saw a couple of plain clothes police officers, with badges and guns plainly on display. (I had seen them too, but wasn't making any comment.) When the woman officer passed, Lili commented that she'd love to have that woman's figure.  I said, "me too!" but that will never happen - even with a diet.  As we left the diner, we both knew the way home, so it was a quick run to Lili's place to drop her off.

- - - - - -

At this time (roughly 1:00 pm), I was tired and needed to rest.  So I dropped into the library, as I had a gut feeling that the landscapers would be at the co-op today.  (They were, but towards the end of the day, not the middle.)  I think I'll start to make it a routine to go there on a regular basis - if only to get out of the house without putting miles on my car.

GFJ tried to reach me around 4:30 pm, and I said that I'd try to reach her in a little while.  Although it was a little bit longer than expected, when I was on my way to see Patty, I gave GFJ a call just to keep in touch and to tell her where I was going.  There was a little white lie here - I mentioned that Patty was shopping in Yonkers and that we were meeting for pizza.  Instead, we were meeting at a restaurant that Ex-GF-M and I used to go to - and I expected that the food would be as good as I remember it being years ago. 

Patty got to the restaurant shortly after I did, and we were chatting from roughly 7:15 pm to 9:30 pm. It was good to catch up with her after all these months.  I only wish that her hubby and GFJ could have been there as well.  Steve was busy with some work he had started earlier in the year, while GFJ was stuck in her neck of the woods due to some doctors' appointments she had where she lives.  So Patty and I gabbed as old friends, and we made plans for the 4 of us to get together again in early November.

- - - - - -

On the ride home, I called Lili to see how she was feeling.  As I expected, her stomach was still a little achy (I'm not sure of how she put it) and keeping her from eating.  But all she wanted to do was go back to sleep - as I would want to do after writing this entry.

 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment