Monday, October 3, 2016

An unemployed weekend


This was my first weekend out of work, and I think I needed the break.  Unfortunately, there are a lot of things I'll have to take care of, such as arranging for COBRA health care coverage. But they will all come in time, and I've been taking this week to relax and recharge.

- - - - - -



Friday was another day where I had nothing to do, and I did it well.  I was hoping that I'd hear back from a couple of people, only to be able to get back in touch with them again. Vicki has been busy, and didn't get back to me until late in the evening.  She has been working late at work, and hasn't had the time to keep in touch.

I had emailed HWA, and we made arrangements to get together on Tuesday.  She'll show me her artwork, then we'll gab for a long while.  Neither of us pay much attention to the clock when we get to gabbing, and I like this.  And then, HWV got in contact, and we'll be getting together on Monday for a late breakfast.

Since I had no one to be with, I decided on driving to the GLBT center in White Plains and getting in contact with them again.  I figure that I'd see if there was some work I could do, and found out that they are having slow going with their web site.  Since I have experience with this on the NPW site, I'll learn their cloud based system and get them up and running. Unfortunately, I've yet to hear from NPW - I have a strange feeling that the key director is on vacation this week, and unable to read her mail until next week.

Instead of going straight home, I decided to go shopping at Target, and then at Walmart.  My main reason for dropping into the stores was to look for the new Beatles' CD - "Live at the Hollywood Bowl".  I was surprised to see how few CDs were available at Target since my last visit.  Streaming and MP3 downloads are obsoleting the CD very quickly.  Soon, the only physical media many musicians will be recording for will again be vinyl.  Amazing!  Yet, at each store, I found things I needed and put them on the credit card.  (I'm lucky to have the savings to pay off the card without much pain.)

While at Walmart, I had a short conversation with one of the stocking clerks.  One could see that life had taken its toll on her. What stood out most was the purple dye job on her short grey hair. We chatted for a minute, and she complimented me on the outfit I was wearing in the above photo.  This made me glad that I bought the leggings I was wearing when I was in Newburgh earlier in the week.  Since I have a blue dress that needs leggings to be worn without excess exposure, I picked up in inexpensive pair that I can wear later on, but before the weather gets chilly.

It's amazing how a little confidence will help a transgender person be accepted as another woman in everyday interactions....

- - - - - -

Saturday came without any energy.  I had gone to sleep without wearing my CPAP mask, and the difference in how I felt and how I normally feel was drastic.  Yet, if I do this for a single night, it isn't so bad. But I can't make a habit of this.

It took me longer than expected to get out of the house, as I was trying to make slow cooker ribs.  I couldn't find the cook-in bags, so I had a messy pot to deal with when everything was cooked. As a result of this delay, I still ended up getting to the family homestead at 2:00 pm.  But instead of doing work in the house, we decided to shop for counter tops, cabinets, sinks, appliances and flooring.  And it looks like we'll come in within our budget.  As an aside, my nephew needed money to pay an installment on his car loan.  So we will hire him to take care of several tasks, so that he can earn his car payment.

By the time I was ready to leave, it was 7:00 pm, and there were traffic jams that I couldn't avoid on the way home. Stupid me tried to cut across traffic to make an exit, and almost got into an accident.  (I certainly deserved to, the way I was driving.)  But I was lucky, and made it home in time for well cooked ribs with GFJ.

- - - - - -

Sunday was a stay at home day. Although we thought of getting showered, dressed, and out for a while, it made much more sense to relax.  And relax we did.  Neither of us left the apartment for any reason, and we enjoyed the day watching movies and taking it easy.  If I didn't have a late breakfast scheduled with HWV Monday morning, she wouldn't have rescheduled her landscaper's visit at her office for Monday - and we'd have had another day together.

Sooner or later, GFJ's foot will have healed, and she will longer need the boot she's been wearing for the past couple of weeks.  And then we'll be able to go out for a walk again. This is what I'd have like to have done on Sunday. But snuggling was a nice second choice....








No comments:

Post a Comment