Friday, October 21, 2016

An evening with WDJ


The above is a picture of what someone calls a delicious Pork Chop dinner.  Sadly, I didn't think to take a picture of the plate delivered to me at the Palace Diner in Poughkeepsie tonight, as it proves my claim - some of the best food being served these days is being served at local diners.

- - - - - -

Today, the host of Thursday game nights sent out a message to all people who signed up for tonight's meetup, telling us that tonight's meetup was cancelled. It only made sense to contact WDJ to see if she was still available for dinner - and she was. So, I got showered and dressed, and was ready to get out the door at 5:00 pm.  Just as I was finished getting dressed, my brother called to tell me some interesting news: we could easily get another $1,200/month if we turn the two rooms in the attic into proper bedrooms. So, after a little discussion, we agreed to do this, and moved forward with our renovation project.

After I ended the call with my brother, it was off to Beacon to see WDJ.  I told her that we had to make a milk run to Poughkeepsie to see if the Catherine's there carried the dress I tried on when visiting RO. Sadly, the dress wasn't there, and it was a trip for nothing. But it allowed us to have a very nice dinner at the Palace Diner. I decided on having the Pork Chop special, which consisted of mashed potatoes (tasty, but forgettable) and the main plate. Imagine two grilled pork chops stacked on top of each other, both garnished with thin apple slices, what may have been a small sweet berry, coated with a wonderful sauce, with a healthy amount of asparagus leaning on the thick stack of pork chops.  YUM!  Even though I normally don't like eating asparagus, they made it tasty, and I enjoyed eating every bite. YUM!  (WDJ had a pastrami sandwich, and I'll bet that she will enjoy her leftovers when she eats them.)

I won't give you any details about what we talked about. But for the most part, our chat was basic girl talk, and a dash of current politics. I can say that we did talk about her life in her new community, and what she missed from her old community. And there are things that she learned, and only could have learned by leaving New York.

All too quickly, our night had to end, and I had to drive home.  It was good seeing WDJ. And it was sad to know she would soon be leaving again.... 


2 comments:

  1. Do they still pick their toes in Poughkeepsie? Sorry --- The French Connection is one of my favorite films and I could not resist! Hope you have some luck with your job search. All is well here, although I am still a little sad about not going to Fantasia Fair this week, but wait 'til next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stana - Thanks for your good wishes.

    Hopefully, things will become easier dealing with your wife's issues. I'd never wish them on anyone. Hopefully, next year at Fantasia Fair! I intend to go if I can scrape up the money, even if only for a half week.

    If you ever want to meet at a halfway point for lunch, let me know - I have the freedom to do so these days.

    M

    ReplyDelete