Wednesday, September 21, 2016

The house on Long Island will soon be renovated


The house I lived in for the first part of my life is 75 years old.  And there is an interesting juxtaposition between old and new in the place.  It is best illustrated by the bathroom. Everything but the toilet is from when the house was built, and none of it would be put together this way today.

- - - - - -

At the end of the workday, my brother called me at the office.  He realized that I prefer NOT to receive calls on my cell phone, as I'm one of those outliers who still have a plan where I'm charged for call minutes, and not for data consumed.  He told me about the bid we got from his contractor, and I said that I'll go along with any decision he makes in this area.  When you consider that the fellow will be charging us $13k for labor for: (1) a major remodeling of the kitchen, (2) a total remodeling of the bathroom, (3) sanding all the wood flooring on the main level, and (4) painting all of the interior walls on the main level, and we are likely getting a great bargain. 

My brother plans to clean out his stuff during the week, so that we can do some serious appliance and "hardware" (cabinets, counter tops, etc.) shopping on Sunday.  We need to get a dollar figure for the stuff we have to buy, as we need to find the money for the job. (It won't be hard to find.  We just want to stay in an approximate budget we had a while back.) More important than this is that we must develop a reasonable schedule for work on the house, as we only have 6 weeks to get everything done.

- - - - - -

Would I ever want to live in this house after renovation?  No.  Long Island is way too crowded for me, and the house is way too close to my brother for me to go out in Marian Mode.  The house also brings back memories for me, many of which are unpleasant. There is a phrase "You can never go home again."  And this is so true for me.




No comments:

Post a Comment