Monday, September 5, 2016

Storage Compartments


Today was another day on Long Island, and another day of unexpected developments. As usual, there was no way I will say anything to my brother about being transgender while my dad is alive. But he did notice something about me that he never noticed before - that my arms are hair free.  I mentioned that I didn't like hairy arms, and he let the matter drop.  Yet, I do wonder if he is thinking about this a little.

- - - - - -

As has become usual for a Sunday morning, I left the house around noon - but expecting to move stuff from the family homestead in both my car and my brother's car to a new storage compartment that he'd be renting for us.  Earlier in the morning, GFJ had told me that storage units in her area rent for about $65-$80. and both my brother and I got a case of sticker shock when he was quoted a $225-$250 rate for the same size unit on Long Island. (As they say, "Location, Location, and Location.")  So we figured that it would be best to store stuff at the homestead for now, and move anything valuable to our individual residences before the renovators come in to overhaul the place.

Since we have moved out most of the big pieces of furniture, we decided to attack some less arduous tasks.  One of these was to meet with the man who redid my brother's garage, and see what he could do for us in regard to our renovation.  My brother wants to steer work to this fellow, as he did excellent work at a great price. The fellow brought up an issue that we had to address.  Current code requires that stoves be placed no closer than 12" from a wall. This means that instead of having all the appliances against one wall, that we would have counter space and appliances running along one wall, and wrapping around to the adjacent wall. As you can guess, there are a lot of "You might as wells" involved here. But we should be OK.  The bathroom will be torn down to the studs, and new fixtures installed that give a modern appearance to the room.  Between these two rooms, I expect we will be spending over $15,000 in renovations on a 75 year old house.

Later on, the potential tenant who needs a new place to live ASAP, came over to chat.  My brother showed him the place, and explained why we couldn't rent it out right now.  Both sides wanted to make it possible to cut a deal in the future. So they exchanged numbers, and my brother will be in contact when we think we have a target date for habitability.  All through this time, I couldn't get my dad's machine to connect with the cable company's wi-fi. I have a feeling that they see my dad's former computer as being connected to his inactive cable account. This prevented me from doing much in regard to updating images of things we have for sale.

- - - - - -

Eventually, we decided to price out some of the items we'd need by a visit to Home Depot. This is where we got an idea of how much we'll likely be spending on this phase of renovations, and what is and isn't possible this time around.  Over the next few years, we will likely put a dormer on the rear of the house, and possibly turn the place into a two family home.  But we won't do it unless we can do it legally.  I noted the problem of the location of the interior staircase, and it looks like we will never have an acceptable arrangement for a second story apartment.

All too early, it was time to leave for home. I was not in the mood to see my dad, and neither was my brother. We figure we can see him next weekend.  So, my brother helped me load a heavy duty filing cabinet into the car. This was a pain in the ass to get into the car, and was a pain in the ass to get out of the car.  In a day or two, it will be a pain in the ass to put into place, as I will have to move out an old filing cabinet (which serves as a base for my computer), then slide in this new unit. If I'm lucky, I can get GFJ's help next weekend for this task.

- - - - - -

The big question I have right now is: "Will my hairless arms pique my brother's curiosity?"  I'm not ready to out myself to him or his wife.  So I'm hoping he lets this matter drop. There are so many things I have to deal with right now.  The last thing I need to do is say anything that could disturb a harmonious family relationship when we need it most.


No comments:

Post a Comment